well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Stuck in a rut?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck in a rut?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Back in the fall, when Shiota, the Arizona State psychologist, felt her mind shrinking, she knew exactly which emotion she needed to cultivate.

She got up off the couch, drove West from her San Francisco home and ended up at the edge of the ocean. "I am trying to reconnect with the vast natural world, with the universe beyond my professional and personal responsibilities, and beyond this moment in time," Shiota writes in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. "I am searching for awe."

https://www.npr.org/sections/h...es-a-little-practice

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37939 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
In my early days of working for NFFMCo, my office was in south Seattle. My commute was across the lake, then south on I-5 a few miles. Shortly before my exit, coming around one curve, Mount Rainier filled the view, seeming to float above the freeway. I grew up in awe of that view. At least when it wasn't overcast, raining, smoggy, or whatever.

One day in about 1990, I wasn't particularly in need of inspiration... or maybe I was and just didn't know it. I was working on a project that was pretty important to developing and launching a major new flying machine. I rounded the curve, saw the mountain, and sort of gasped. Awe. That's the word for it. Awe.

I pointed my motorcycle down the exit, drove the remaining mile or so to the office, and could hardly wait for my Mac IIci to boot up. I knocked out a bunch of code and screen layouts for the database I was designing. I remember few other days before or since that I felt so tickled to be working there, or even just being alive.

Thinking back, the last half of my career has really been missing things like that. I've had a few major successes, and I've been a part of a few pretty amazing things. Watching a new flying machine take off for the first time is pretty cool.

But that one day that the mountain just hit me was a time that I felt really engaged with what I was doing, and even felt overjoyed and lucky to be a part of it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Mine is much closer to home.

I thought I would be in the office 2 or 3 hours a day..most of my work is email/spreadsheets..I can do that at home.

But my trip was 1 mile away to the office...

Today I officially dismantled my work at home set up (a smaller one is now in place) and the office is my happy place.

We are a staff of lots of young people who LAUGH, eat great food, hug, get dirty and help each other out.

My one mile trek is life changing. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post