well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The story of Aldi grocery stores
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The story of Aldi grocery stores
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I've never gotten into shopping at Aldi but know a lot of folks who love it.

https://www.cnn.com/interactiv...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I use ours occasionally. I don't find it all that cheap, but it is a nice size and doesn't take all day. The megastores, well, there's your 10,000 steps a day.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There's one in Norman. Mary Anna doesn't like it. Amazingly, even though it's on my regular flight path, after Mary Anna told me she didn't like it, I've never been.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
As a retired old F*** with nothing but time on his hands, I don’t do all my shopping one place. At any given time, different stores have the best prices on different items, and I admit it’s sort of a game with me to nit pay more than I have to.

Before I moved, I liked having an Aldi near me. I liked the speed and efficiency, and there are usually at any given time several items that it had the best prices in town for.

If they show up at Nevada, I’ll try them again…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
They have an upscale brand I shop at - Trader Joe’s.

Seriously, I’ve been in one, 15 years ago, in Indiana. They don’t have them near me.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Never found anything at Aldi that sparked joy, so the M. Kondo in me said "Don't bother going back."

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We have a Lidl grocery store that recently opened, supposedly similar to the Aldi concept. Have not been there yet.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Aldi Nord/Trader Joe's, too.

Glad you mentioned Lidl, RP. I read about them a couple of years ago and they came back to mind when I saw this article about Aldi. Couldn't remember the name.

Looks like all the stores on the east coast right now. If you check them out, please let us know what you think.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I've been to Lidl many a time in Germany, have yet to see one here.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Never found anything at Aldi that sparked joy, so the M. Kondo in me said "Don't bother going back."

That was my first impression of Trader Joe's too. And when a new Aldi opened in our town, Mr. SK and I went and were underwhelmed.

I think the trick is to look more closely at labels, since the items aren't the brands we're used to. After reading the article WTG linked, I told Mr. SK we probably need to give Aldi's another try, if things are that much cheaper it will be worth it to add them to the list of stores we visit.

Mr. SK actually likes to visit more than store, he figures which one has cheaper milk, eggs, coffee etc and buys a few items at each store. Right now, he shops at Publix, Ingles (both regional chains) and Walmart. As much as I hate Walmart, they have the cheapest milk and eggs AFAIK, so adding Aldis to the list shouldn't be too difficult.

We don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere near where we could go regularly, also Costco is too far away as well. I have never been keen to shop at Whole Foods, before we moved down here there was one in our neighborhood but again, none close by now.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I stopped at Aldi's a few years ago for some product or another that friends were raving about. The store was already out of the hot item, but I stumbled upon some very nice seat cushions for our kitchen chairs for $6 a piece. They've held up very well.

Shrug

I'm a very loyal TJ's shopper.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Mr. SK actually likes to visit more than store, he figures which one has cheaper milk, eggs, coffee etc and buys a few items at each store. Right now, he shops at Publix, Ingles (both regional chains) and Walmart. As much as I hate Walmart, they have the cheapest milk and eggs AFAIK, .

Sounds like Mr. SK shops like I do. For what it’s worth, when I had both stores in town the eggs at Aldi were much cheaper than Walmart.…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The received wisdom (at least as received by me) was that it doesn't make sense to price-shop among supermarkets because you drive yourself nuts and the bill for the whole grocery cart will be roughly the same anyway. But these new discount grocery chains may change that equation.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I go to different stores but not because of price. I go to Aldi for convenience and speed. Fresh Thyme Market or Pipkin's for great produce. Meijer for major weekly shopping, meat and seafood. Lehr's Meats for high end meat and sometimes wine. Whole Foods for the air chilled chicken I like. Costco for paper goods, individually wrapped chicken breasts, butter and $300 in stuff I didn't know I needed when I walked in. Dorothy Lane Market for wines, luxury foods, Jeni's ice creams, wine and certain chicken products no one else carries.

Oh, and Kroger if I absolutely do not have time to go anywhere else. I really wish I could support the home town company, but their prices and service fall very very short.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I go to different stores as well. Partly for price (although I worry that the cost savings is eaten up in gasoline), but also because different stores have what I want.

A stupid example ... there is almost zero overlap between the Ben & Jerry's flavors at Crest (the local Oklahoma supermarket), Walmart, and Target. I assume it's deliberate.

Less stupid examples: Crest has the best bread (unless I'm headed to Oklahoma City to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). Walmart has the best honeycrisp apples (no, really, they do). Target ... has a Starbucks inside. Smiler

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post