well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Doctor's Perspective

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Doctor's Perspective
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
This is from a doctor I went to high school with. It is interesting and different than anything I've read publicly.

"Just spoke with an infectious diseases colleague at the hospital. They have 300 patients with Covid 19. They had to increase the number of ICUs to five from two.. most likely the virus starts off asymptomatically, so that by the time the patient presents with symptoms, antiviral agents Might not be successful since the virus has already taken a foothold in their body. That would explain the sometimes observed lack of efficacy of the antiviral agents we have tried thus far.. however, that is just the clinical observation of a few doctors (myself included).  this is why Dr. Fauci is so cautious.To really draw correct conclusions about these drugs, will be addressed by the results of the randomized controlled studies that he so strongly believes in...these result could take a month or two..Additionally, I feel then the second phase, which is the ARDS respiratory phase, where people need ventilators, is almost completely an auto immune phenomenon, and at this stage antivirals won’t work.. that’s why there’s such a high fatality rate. We are not treating the right disease.with the right medicine.We have to treat these patients with drugs that target auto immunity, such as actemra ...additionally, laboratory testing should be much more comprehensive, then it currently is, and it should be mainly directed at the auto immune diseases, such as checking levels of complement, or IL 6.. I feel that with comprehensive testing, we can choose which biologic anti-autoimmune agent to choose, since some patients are resistant to actemra...there are some hospitals that Have already published some of these results, but I am afraid that widespread use of these blood tests, or even The more targeted treatment with actemra is unfortunately still not in place."

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who is a researcher at a medical school. She also alerted me to the possible autoimmune component of COVID-19.

NYT had an article about cytokine storm syndrome.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...m-immune-system.html

and Vox, did too. This article describes how a serum ferritin test might help identify people who could benefit from certain kinds of treatments.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/...okine-storm-syndrome

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is definitely something to keep on the radar.

My aunt has had autoimmune problems her entire adult life. I wonder if her covid treatment included this approach. I’m not trying not to invade her with questions as she still far from done recuperating, but maybe I’ll ask her or else my cousin about this soon.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18548 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post