well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    $750,000
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$750,000
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
That's the estimate to fix our library after the "peaceful" three day occupation. This doesn't include any additional charges to repair or replace damaged furniture, computers, TV screens, etc. When that's included, people are saying the cost might exceed $1M.

They have insurance - it remains to be seen how much they will cover.

Hmmmm.

Posts: 35428 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner

What an awful, awful thing to have happened.

Is this getting attention in national news? Because I’m not seeing it. Maybe I’m not looking in the right place?

I’m curious about how different groups are talking about it, because it seems to me that it’s a public relations nightmare for anyone who wants to support students’ right to protest.

Or, is there a cavalier attitude about it, like it’s somehow ok? (I certainly hope not!)

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
And, by the way, do the student groups involved recognize that this does nothing to help their cause or to help the Pro-Palestinian movement?

Has anyone involved in those groups apologized, for example?

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Insurance often doesn't cover things like this. They'll find an exception in the policy for "acts of war or insurrection." This wasn't wind damage from a storm, or a leaky roof.

And if the insurer does pay out, you can bet your bottom dollar that the policy will be significantly more expensive shortly. That and the coverage will stop entirely unless the university does a whole series of actions, some of which may be antithetical to the business of a university, in order to keep a policy.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-at-750k/ar-BB1mnRgY

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38214 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Last NYT article was on May 1; I see nothing about the aftermath. Here's a discussion on reddit that includes a gift link to that NYT article .

https://www.reddit.com/r/portl...vists_fortify_for_a/

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38214 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Coverage in the student newspaper:

https://psuvanguard.com/the-library/

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Coverage in the student newspaper:

https://psuvanguard.com/the-library/

It's really distressing to read this...

quote:
An attack on a library, Paschild explained, is an insidious tool which undermines culture and communities, sequesters knowledge and erases history.

Indeed.

The damage done here is just ridiculous. It does nothing to further the cause of the protestors, has numerous unintended victims, and needlessly drains resources (financial and otherwise). Among other things.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

And that, according to the article, doesn't cover the cost of damaged furniture or computer equipment.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Quirt, a legal question.

Couldn't an insurer refuse to cover this for a number of reasons? I mentioned a few above, but I could add contributory negligence by not removing students immediately. This was a three night occupation. Couldn't the insurer claim that the university allowed it to proceed, and therefore is responsible for its own problem?

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Those are good questions P*D... Also, is there any precedence (for example, from the George Floyd protests?) that might be relevant?

Did insurers pay out after that? If so, shouldn't we expect something similar here?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to hear that so many people in the public thought the damage from George Floyd protests in Chicago wasn't a big problem for the companies because "they had insurance"... So many small business gone.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Quirt, a legal question.

Couldn't an insurer refuse to cover this for a number of reasons? I mentioned a few above, but I could add contributory negligence by not removing students immediately. This was a three night occupation. Couldn't the insurer claim that the university allowed it to proceed, and therefore is responsible for its own problem?

I will give you the weasel answer and say, it depends. It depends on how the policy is written.

For example, if you smoke and get lung cancer, an insurer could claim that the insured did it to themselves ... but that's not how it works.

Likewise, there was a time when houses were covered in flood plains ... until the policies were changed.

So, it all depends on the language of the policy. Which is how lawyers make their money.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
OK, but it's not cut and dried (insurance will pay) as the article suggests. The policy may not cover this sort of damage.

The medical analogy has some big problems. Smoking and lung cancer is a statement about probabilities over the very long run. Non-smokers also get lung cancer. In this case the institution actively did something that caused the damage - they let the mob take over the library and did nothing to eject them for three days. If I'm the insurer, I tell the university that their choices actively caused the problem. I would guess that the policy includes some boilerplate the insurer can use to refuse payment. All speculation, of course. Big Grin

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think the lack of national coverage is because it's not a well-known school.

BTW, some protesters chained themselves to the front door of our building yesterday for a few hours. Everyone just went around to the side entrance. Another day, another protest.

I think they greatly hurt their cause by taking over the library just before midterms, then doing such significant damage. Most people I've heard of are just tired of the whole thing, including most students. Our student body is unique in that we have a far larger cohort of older, returning students who just want to finish their degrees and get on with their lives.

Posts: 35428 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post