well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The COVID crush
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The COVID crush
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Cindy, the initial advice not to wear masks was due to a shortage and trying to make sure healthcare workers had masks.

Jf

That was March. It is mid-November, and they are just saying masks protect the wearer?

They've been saying this for months. Here's advice to wear a mask from April

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think what Cindy is referring to is the recent CDC guidance that says that wearing a mask is protective for the wearer. The previous guidance only talked about protecting people around the wearer.

TBH, I always thought it was intuitive that a mask protects the wearer. And I couldn't imagine that it could be harmful. I wasn't waiting for an official imprimatur from the CDC.

As we can see from that story the P*D posted about people yelling at the nurse, no amount of science is going to convince some people no matter who says what.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Reality stares the governor of Iowa in the face. I'd say that it's better late than never, but it's hard not to think about what might have been if she had acted earlier.....

quote:
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds issues mask mandate after disparaging it as 'feel good' measure
Reynolds, a Republican, issued the state’s first mask mandate after months of disparaging coronavirus restrictions as “feel good” measures.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds issued the state's first mask mandate as coronavirus spiked in the last two weeks after months of disparaging face covering restrictions as “feel good” measures.

Reynolds, a Republican, announced Monday evening that all people above the age of 2 were required to wear face coverings indoors as the state's health care system was being "pushed to the brink."

“The pandemic in Iowa is the worst it has ever been,” the governor said. “No one wants to do this. I don’t want to do this.”

“If Iowans don’t buy into this, we lose,” Reynolds said. “Businesses will close once again, more schools will be forced to go online, and our health care system will fail.”

“The cost in human life will be high,” she said.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post