well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Omicron Wave Already Peaking ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omicron Wave Already Peaking ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And some interesting material from Eric Topol, editor of Medscape and cardiologist at Scripps Research Institute.

Omicron possibly less pathogenic

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If it spreads faster, that is, each infected person infects more people (higher R number), an infected person is infectious sooner, it's not a surprise that the infections will peak faster in a given population.

I hope Omicron blows over quickly. If it peters out rapidly because it's infected everyone that it can, it may not have as much time to mutate. Wussy variant.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I was just reading this
The case for more Covid restrictions is overwhelming

Frowner

I know it’s not the most pressing problem, but I reallyreallyreally don’t want to teach online in spring semester.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about that. Your uni would never do that ...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
If it spreads faster, that is, each infected person infects more people (higher R number), an infected person is infectious sooner, it's not a surprise that the infections will peak faster in a given population.

I hope Omicron blows over quickly. If it peters out rapidly because it's infected everyone that it can, it may not have as much time to mutate. Wussy variant.

I think that's a logical mistake. More time doesn't equal more chances to mutute ... more infections equals more chances to mutate.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
By the way, Omicron is already swamping professional sports. Their response? Stop testing so much.

https://profootballtalk.nbcspo...-15-fmia-peter-king/

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
By the way, Omicron is already swamping professional sports. Their response? Stop testing so much.

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good grief.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

I think that's a logical mistake. More time doesn't equal more chances to mutute ... more infections equals more chances to mutate.
Perhaps, but I think increasing the time between when a virus or a variant enters a population and the time it peters out gives a further mutation a better chance to take hold.

Maybe.

New mutations are happening constantly, but few of them get to spread widely from their original environment.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Don't worry about that. Your uni would never do that ...

I don't know though, they're being very... conscientious lately.

Also, worse than online would actually be hybrid, which we did in Spring 2021. That would be worse.
Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post