well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The great American eye scam ...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The great American eye scam ...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My friend said that as soon as her hubby got the Bose he stopped saying “what?” all the time. Big Grin

My mom wore hearing aids for the last four or five years of her life. She had a hearing test at Costco and got the aids there also. Kind of a mid-priced over the ear model by ReSound. Not rechargeable. In 2019 they were probably $3000 a pair.

Sidebar….before the hearing aids…She used to turn the TV volume up so high that it was literally painful to be in the same room. I finally bought some ear plugs to wear when we watched movies together. As time wore on I came to believe that she not only had hearing loss, but that her dementia was causing her not to understand voices on TV. I think her brain couldn’t process the sounds quite right. The TV volume was crazy, but when I talked to her face to face and raised the volume of my voice, she was like “why are you yelling?”.

They were not tiny by any means, but they were smaller than the Bose are. She had pretty short hair and you really couldn’t see them much.

There are online hearing tests, including one at the Bose site. Maybe if you tried it out first to see how it works you could get her to take a basic test online, too?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea...

Use your smartphone, a usb microphone, and wireless earbuds.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
My friend said that as soon as her hubby got the Bose he stopped saying “what?” all the time. Big Grin

My mom wore hearing aids for the last four or five years of her life. She had a hearing test at Costco and got the aids there also. Kind of a mid-priced over the ear model by ReSound. Not rechargeable. In 2019 they were probably $3000 a pair.

Sidebar….before the hearing aids…She used to turn the TV volume up so high that it was literally painful to be in the same room. I finally bought some ear plugs to wear when we watched movies together. As time wore on I came to believe that she not only had hearing loss, but that her dementia was causing her not to understand voices on TV. I think her brain couldn’t process the sounds quite right. The TV volume was crazy, but when I talked to her face to face and raised the volume of my voice, she was like “why are you yelling?”.

They were not tiny by any means, but they were smaller than the Bose are. She had pretty short hair and you really couldn’t see them much.

There are online hearing tests, including one at the Bose site. Maybe if you tried it out first to see how it works you could get her to take a basic test online, too?

That’s a good idea. I’ll go check it out.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I took the Bose test. It’s kind of weird. A voice says three numbers and you’re supposed to enter what you hear. There is background noise and the volume on the voice saying the numbers gets quieter.

Might be good to check out other ones. A search for online hearing tests turned up a ton of choices.

https://www.audiologyresearch....nline-hearing-tests/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post