Find
Notify
Tools

New Car
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
As predicted, Sharon hit a patch of ice in a blinding snow squall on the interstate, bounced off a few things, spun around and landed in the median. No one hurt, thank goodness, including Sam in the back seat. The airbags never deployed which is good - those things will save your life but they’ll mess you up. She was able to drive home.

The car doesn’t look too bad but it’s a total. She’s real upset about it but I’ve resigned myself to the fact it’s the price you pay for cheap housing - you’re either going to wreck on the ice or hit a deer every few years. No big deal - we have insurance. Our local agent talked us in to a very low deductible - good man! Safeco paid like a slot machine, no problem there.

Selecting a new car will be easy - she wants another Mazda CX-9. Why not? It’s the right size and shape and the old one (2013 with 130K miles) was as reliable as a claw hammer. Good winter starter, too. - that is important here. Fired right up at 6 degrees below.

White this time - looks good with salt residue on it. The black one looked terrible all winter. Springing for the heavy duty floor mats - the nice carpet ones weren’t up to the task. Should be the last car we ever buy.

Unless I hit a deer.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh my!! So glad she and Sam are ok!!

So your car insurance is Safeco? I’ve never heard of them. We have State Farm and have been wondering if I should consider changing.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Oh my!! So glad she and Sam are ok!!

So your car insurance is Safeco? I’ve never heard of them. We have State Farm and have been wondering if I should consider changing.

Yes, Safeco. I’ve had them on and off for several years.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So glad everyone is OK, and no idiot was barreling down from behind and driving too close.

Brand loyalty! I love it. So does Mazda in this case ... Big Grin

Deer strike -- yeah we know that one. My son was driving home on a local highway in my beloved stick shift six-cylinder BMW 3 series when a deer jumped in front of the car while he was going 65. The deer was pulverized, but so was the car. He too could drive it home, but Geico totaled it. Wasn't worth repair in their view. The BMW people told me that gold plated insurers like Chubb would likely have fixed it, and done it right using OEM parts, but those policies are rather expensive.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Test drive a Nissan Murano or Pathfinder. My rented Murano started right up at -28f. Plus the Nissans have what they call zero gravity seats. I can drive three or four hours straight with no back stiffness. I liked my ten Al Murano so much I bought one. Almost four years in and not a single issue.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Does the Mazda offer AWD? Did hers have it?

I have felt pretty invincible in the snow in my Subaru. I’d recommend one for anyone living with snow.

And any color other than white or black. Medium blue does not show dirt and road scunge as much as black or white. My light green Subaru never looks dirty from five feet away.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have settled on silver/grey for the perfect winter/salt color... Also, doesn't get too hot in the summer sun compared to darker colors.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Does the Mazda offer AWD? Did hers have it?

Sharon’s car didn’t have it but it’s standard on the newer ones.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad no one was hurt.
Tried a Subaru Ascent. Steered like a cheap video game. The salesman had a bad case of flatulence. Was glad to get out of there.
Found BMW X1. It is much like the Toyota Rav4 I tried to find for a couple of months. List price was identical to that of the Subaru Ascent.
So far the only problem with the BMW is that the remote start does not work. It is a computer thing.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Unless there is significant concealed damage, that looks like the sort of car a body shop picks up and repairs when work is slow, then sells on a salvage title.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Glad Sharon & Sam are okay. That must have been scary during the slide, though!

PJ I love the Subaru light green. My little Impreza is red, though. It does show when it’s filthy!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
how terrifying. i hope sharon is ok. having been through a similar accident, it can be very traumatic, and the physical consequences are not always apparent right away.

we are also in the market for a new car. I want to get a subaru forester touring, as a road trip car. but now will also take a look at mazda.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yikes. That's a fair bit of damage. Glad it wasn't bad enough for the airbags to go off.

We've gone the tan or silver grey route for colors because they hide dirt well. Had a lightish green 1978 Datsun B210 that I named Kermit; dirt didn't show up much on it either.

We've always done some kind of rubber mats rather than carpet. Friends love their WeatherTechs but they're pricey.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. What a scary moment!

I'm pretty sure Mazda is one of the few brands that offers an option that is essentially a "god's eye view" camera, where you can see where your car is from up above. It's hard to describe but it's invaluable for parking, especially in tight spaces. We had one in our Leaf and I miss it every day.

I liked it enough that I was seriously considering trading our new car for any model that had it.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post