well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    This week’s Costco find: Umami Sardines

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This week’s Costco find: Umami Sardines
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
“Umami Sardines in traditional teriyaki sauce.”

Five plastic packs with five sardines — 100 grams/3.5 oz each. I think it was about $9… quite a bit more than a typical can of sardines.

Opening the package smells like walking into a sushi restaurant.

I am eating them on Ritz crackers with cream cheese. Quite tasty. They aren’t as soft as canned sardines - a little more al dente.

They don’t taste particularly salty, but the box says 1 packet has ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED THIRTY MILIGRAMS OF SODIUM. That’s 53% of your recommended daily intake! I’ve found Japanese food can be sneaky that way… a lot more salt than it tastes like.

I’ll give them four stars. Would be five if they were a bit cheaper. With that much sodium, I would hesitate to make them a regular feature on my snack menu.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have found that, living alone, Costco is no longer for me. Shrug

And I am trying to buy fresh and local..But if I need some odd thing like sardines, I try to buy them from a local vendor in my city.

That is just me...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to take advantage of their umami properties I think you’ll have to combine them with something.

Maybe beef stew. Hold the salt.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
If you’re going to take advantage of their umami properties I think you’ll have to combine them with something.

It seems to me a bottle of fish sauce from Uwajimaya would taste the same and be a fraction of the price.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

It seems to me a bottle of fish sauce from Uwajimaya would taste the same and be a fraction of the price.

True. The recipe I saw called for anchovy paste.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Same for me, BeeLady. We had a significant run on Costco at the beginning of the pandemic, and I actually turned on our deep freezer to store random food. But it's been years since I've needed to go regularly, and never for produce unless we're having a gang of people visit.

I had to remind myself that we still have a freezer in the basement. A big change from the past, where I went to Costco 2-3 times a month and the freezer was packed. I don't really miss it. You haven't lived until you've trudged through the Costco parking lot at 105 degree + temperatures, panicking and hoping you can get everything loaded, home, unpacked and into the freezer before it all melts.

We do still go for things like toilet paper, vitamins, sheets, and I've found them to be a great option for appliances like microwaves, instant pot, airfryer. We've bought two washer/dryer sets from them in the past three years and their service and installation has been great. Oh, tires, too.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post