well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How Trump Has Poisoned U.S. Relations With Germany

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Trump Has Poisoned U.S. Relations With Germany
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not surprising that world leaders don't feel they can rely on his word. Heck, people in his own administration are often left hanging as he does an unannounced about-face on major issues. They choose to put up with it; the rest of the world appears to be moving on without us.

Would love to hear from folks on the other side of the pond about this - Martin, Klaus, Wim, Nunatax, Dan...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38016 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
exactly

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
We miss the Obamas very much over here.

If you´ve got a minute to spare and want to know about the Merkel-and-Trump-relationship, I recommend listening to chancellor Merkel in her Harvard commecement speech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiQiAima7w
It´s a remarkable (and very personal)speech, but what´s even more interisting is the comment section. The amount of ignorance and (sorry for being straightforward - can´t help being german) stupidity and lying is sometimes mindblowing.

I think we all will be able to cope with another year and half of Mr. Trump being president somehow. Just no second term in office, please. We´d really appreciate that Smiler.

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the link to Merkel's Harvard commencement speech. I loved her reference to Marshall's 1947 commencement speech at the same university. From the opening of Marshall's speech:

quote:
But to speak more seriously, I need not tell you, gentlemen, that the world situation is very serious. That must be apparent to all intelligent people. I think one difficulty is that the problem is one of such enormous complexity that the very mass of facts presented to the public by press and radio make it exceedingly difficult for the man in the street to reach a clear appraisement of the situation. Furthermore, the people of this country are distant from the troubled areas of the earth and it is hard for them to comprehend the plight and consequent reactions of the long-suffering peoples, and the effect of those reactions on their governments in connection with our efforts to promote peace in the world.

http://www.oecd.org/general/th...versity5june1947.htm

quote:
I think we all will be able to cope with another year and half of Mr. Trump being president somehow. Just no second term in office, please. We´d really appreciate that Smiler

We'll do our best!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38016 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post