well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rising Water on the Great Lakes ... the Human Toll

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rising Water on the Great Lakes ... the Human Toll
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lake Michigan water levels are crazy. In the thirty plus years we've been going up there, we've seen it swing from record highs in the mid-80s, to record lows just six years ago, and now back to near-record highs.

We've gone from no beach, to several hundred feet of beach, and back to no beach. I need a little beach right now to make the property more attractive to potential buyers...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to read this article without subscribing? I've been having a lot of issues with nytimes links - I don't even think they're giving me a few free articles anymore.

Posts: 4411 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
1) If you grab the headline and use it to search via Google News, you should be able to get to it.

"Summer on the Swollen Great Lakes"

https://news.google.com/?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

2) You can clear out your cookies for the NYT.

3) You can use multiple browsers, each of which would allow you to read whatever their free limit is.

Pls let me know if any of those work out for you!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We were just this morning looking at house listings on Lake Erie. Last time we visited we noticed that some of the floating docks had risen so much they had floated off of their moorings and all of the boat ramps were completely submerged.

We'll have to make sure whatever we get is up sufficiently high to avoid being flooded.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34982 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Is there a way to read this article without subscribing? I've been having a lot of issues with nytimes links - I don't even think they're giving me a few free articles anymore.

1. Download an alternate browser. Vivaldi's decent.

2. Open the article in Vivaldi.

3. Before you try to open another article in Vivaldi, clear your Vivaldi browser history.

This has the advantage of not messing with the history on your regularly-used browser.

Works for Bloomberg and Wired, too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Using the Edge browser - which I never use - did not allow me to read the article unless I signed up for a "free" subscription that required my email address. I'm not sure how long my free subscription is good for, but they abuse the privilege of having my email address their stuff is going to go straight to trash.

Posts: 34982 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wonder why I was able to read it, as I don't have a subscription either. I know I've read way more than their limit.

The only time the NYT stops me is on my iPad, where I use the Firefox browser in Private Mode.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We were just this morning looking at house listings on Lake Erie. Last time we visited we noticed that some of the floating docks had risen so much they had floated off of their moorings and all of the boat ramps were completely submerged.

We'll have to make sure whatever we get is up sufficiently high to avoid being flooded.

Does that mean you've decided, or are you still investigating?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using the Edge browser - which I never use - did not allow me to read the article unless I signed up for a "free" subscription that required my email address. I'm not sure how long my free subscription is good for, but they abuse the privilege of having my email address their stuff is going to go straight to trash.

Try clearing browser history. Everything, which is fine if you don’t use Edge. Cache, passwords, everything. Leave no box unchecked when clearing.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Does that mean you've decided, or are you still investigating?

I think we've decided, and I think we've sorted out the tax implications. Complicated stuff and the various experts don't all agree. The question now is when and how to manage the mechanics and over what period of time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The amount we need to spend to maximize tax benefits isn't working. We want a nice little house on the lake. These are mansions. I have no interest in maintaining a mansion.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why I was able to read it, as I don't have a subscription either. I know I've read way more than their limit.

The only time the NYT stops me is on my iPad, where I use the Firefox browser in Private Mode.
m
What you’re seeing is sloppy programming, which is what I’ve come expect from the NYT. Close enough is good enough, and it covers the news departments as well.

My standards are somewhat higher, their second rate bloviating gasbags notwithstanding.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The amount we need to spend to maximize tax benefits isn't working. We want a nice little house on the lake. These are mansions. I have no interest in maintaining a mansion.

This. I hear you, brother. If I could have goats mow my lawn I would. In any event it will be nice to have you driving distance.

The thing about the Great Lakes is it is fresh water. Too much of it is certainly a manageable problem if it is consistent.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

m
What you’re seeing is sloppy programming, which is what I’ve come expect from the NYT. Close enough is good enough, and it covers the news departments as well.

My standards are somewhat higher, their second rate bloviating gasbags notwithstanding.

OK, we'll add the entire NY Times to your hatred of Megan McArdle.