well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New Mexico’s official state aroma
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico’s official state aroma
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Terroire makes a difference.

Hatch vs. Anaheim

I find Anaheim peppers bland. No heat and not much of an aroma.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Hatches are somewhat meatier, with more flavor and perhaps a bit sweeter.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
there's a guy sellling the plants for growing all of these chillies at our local farmer's market every spring. for the past few years we've been buying the ones we've never heard of and trying them out. i plant them in big black tubs tucked up to a south-facing concrete wall and they are usually producing well into october.

i enjoy growing them, but not eating them. mr. pique enjoys eating them.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21317 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hatch Chiles, as far as I can tell, are Chiles that were cultivated from the original variety developed in Hatch, but there are many varieties. I'm not sure, but I think that chiles labeled as hatch have to be grown in the hatch area, and certainly at least grown in New Mexico. Awhile back, NM passed a law that you couldn't claim something as NM chile if it wasn't actually grown in NM. Kind of like champagne.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the issue here is that the Anaheim supposedly is genetically a Hatch chile, just grown around Anaheim.

But I think anyone with taste buds and an olfactory bulb that works can tell the difference. Terroire is important.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
100% - which is part of why NM passed its law, I think.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh well. If I want the real thing, I’ll just have to order something from Zia.

But for someone who’s only had bell and poblano peppers, plus the hot Mexican and Indian types, the Anaheim was pretty nice. A placeholder.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13802 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Oh well. If I want the real thing, I’ll just have to order something from Zia.

But for someone who’s only had bell and poblano peppers, plus the hot Mexican and Indian types, the Anaheim was pretty nice. A placeholder.

I used to grow Anaheims (natch!). They’re tasty for sure but there’s something about the Hatch chilis that the Anaheims just don’t have.

I know TJs stocks them when they’re in season, or at least they did.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post