well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got a covid test yesterday

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a covid test yesterday
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
it wasn't that bad. They put a miniature toilet brush up one nostril and swish it for a veery long ten seconds. Irritating but not painful. Results by the end of the week. Meanwhile, I'm in quarantine. This is only to prepare for a screening colonoscopy next Monday. I don't have any covid symptoms.

People are arriving back home here from the Sturgis rally. Perfect time to be quarantined.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I thought the toilet brush was better than the hard swab, the toilet brush made me want to sneeze, made my eyes water, made me feel like I jumped in the pool while breathing in my nose. The hard swab got slammed it up much further and it felt like nasty brain freeze. I also think it has to do with the operator, how aggressive they are. Would be thrilled if I didn’t have to do either one again. Glad yours wasn’t so bad. Best of luck with the colonoscopy. (Another thing I would be thrilled if I never had to do again...)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I hated that swab too! I hope the saliva tests become more common, reliable etc....

Sorry you have to deal with all of this piqué.

I would have had a colonoscopy this summer, but for covid. I won't be scheduling anything like that until the percent-positive numbers start to really go down in my state.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I think a universal daily saliva test should be a serious goal for the country to reduce the spread...

Of course, that will only bring out the claims of the Feds and the Illuminati working together to control us!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I keep wondering if I should have a test. Back in April I had a few days of low fever and fatigue after cab rides to my doctor in Manhattan. But have felt fine since.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
My MA son, is presently subject to his state's rules for leaving and returning in order to be able to visit me here in PA (it's been almost a year now Frowner ).

MA IS among the most cautious states - perhaps THE most cautious, for sure. Beginning on August 1 they won't allow any state resident to return from out of state without producing a negative test result at most 72 hours before reentry.

Otherwise, they have to be subjected to a truly draconian quarantine for two weeks - quite an income and other loss, besides being hard to comply with depending on the resident's living arrangement.*

Having read about astronomical test costs some have been shocked by (well in excess of $1000) I'm also concerned about how he may get the test here in PA - where and at what expense. (Will try to inform myself about whether there are prerequisites to qualify for being tested.)

And how long is it apt to take to get the results? It's worrying for many reasons as he's the only son living close enough to help if I have an emergency.

*I know NY residents are supposed to follow similar rules (and are cheating), but MA is on the point of fining cheaters $500/day - with complex compliance checks.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
To be precise, this rule exempts the few N England states not showing a rise in cases considered dangerous by the powers that be in MA.

Also, what if PA - here the governor's going county by county - deteriorates in its MA "rating" by then? Kind of hard to plan for special occasions - holidays, etc. In my county - which has been only lightly affected - we remain anxious about what will happen when the university fully reopens (a matter of only a few days). We already see what's happening in other university towns! HairRaising

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
To be precise, this rule exempts the few N England states not showing a rise in cases considered dangerous by the powers that be in MA.

Also, what if PA - here the governor's going county by county - deteriorates in its MA "rating" by then? Kind of hard to plan for special occasions - holidays, etc. In my county - which has been only lightly affected - we remain anxious about what will happen when the university fully reopens (a matter of only a few days). We already see what's happening in other university towns! HairRaising

No worries. They’ll close in two weeks.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
As a resident of Massachusetts, I am very proud of how well our state has been performing. Part if it is due to our Republican Governor who has a background in healthcare. Charlie Baker has really done a pretty good job. He has daily update broadcasts that most of us either watch/listen to or are updated on every single day.

I will be heading out of state later this fall and my plan is to come home and get tested here.

Getting tested in MA is pretty easy either through your own doctor or via the state set up test sites in various cities around the state.

State Tests are free of charge here so your son should be ok as far as that goes. I had mine done via my Dr. but have not been charged anything.

Amanda, your son can find a test site here.

I hope you enjoy your visit!! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
As a resident of Massachusetts, I am very proud of how well our state has been performing. Part if it is due to our Republican Governor who has a background in healthcare. Charlie Baker has really done a pretty good job. He has daily update broadcasts that most of us either watch/listen to or are updated on every single day.

I will be heading out of state later this fall and my plan is to come home and get tested here.

Getting tested in MA is pretty easy either through your own doctor or via the state set up test sites in various cities around the state.

State Tests are free of charge here so your son should be ok as far as that goes. I had mine done via my Dr. but have not been charged anything.

Amanda, your son can find a test site here.

I hope you enjoy your visit!! Yes

Thank you for the info on the MA travel quarantine. I too admire MA's approach to COVID transmission - makes me feel much safer on son's behalf.

I remain confused about the testing requirement. Sounded to me that returning residents can only be exempted from quarantine if tested (and showing they're well) BEFORE recrossing the border. That's why I was concerned abt his being testing in PA. Hope it's OK to wait til he's in MA.

Also confused abt contact rules back in MA. Unsure about his contact with his landlord [NOT a felllow traveller] who comes and goes freely to son's part of appt. I guess son can bring food from PA to avoid food delivery in MA.

Here's an excerpt from the MA qarantine announcement. (Italics mine)

quote:
Travelers are exempt from the 14-day quarantine if they can show proof that they received a negative result from a COVID-19 test and the sample was taken no longer than 72 hours prior to their arrival in Massachusetts. If they took a test and are awaiting the results upon their arrival in Massachusetts, they have to quarantine until they receive their negative result, the regulations say.

The form mandates that the traveler must agree to the regulations, and must agree with one of four quarantine options:

They take a COVID-19 test within 72 hours before in Massachusetts and it is negative
They will pay for a COVID-19 test and remain quarantined until they test negative
They are awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test and will stay in quarantine until they receive a negative test.

They will stay in quarantine for 1
4 days after they arrive in the state, or will stay in quarantine for the entirety of their visit if less than 14 days.

The form also mandates that the traveler must agree that they have not had any COVID-19 symptoms, have not been in close contact within the last two weeks with someone who has it or is suspected of having it, and that they will wear a mask in public and maintain standard social distancing of six feet, according to the guidance.

While in quarantine, travelers must not have contact with anyone other than those they’ve traveled with for two weeks, must not be out in public, must not let anyone else into their quarantine area, must have food delivered, and should have the correct amount of face coverings for everyone, the guidelines say. They can only leave to seek “urgent medical care.”

I guess the out of state testing is only one of four re-entry options, but the testing in MA is somewhat unclear. (Traveller can be tested in MA - but doesn't say how, if they can't enter public places...? Suppose testing counts as "urgent medical care")

Too bad for him and others that he will be obliged to miss work for almost a full month including out of state time as it's a significant salary loss.
Frowner

Wondering too how long it's apt to take to get results either from PA or MA. Ideas? (Sending him copy of your MA testing notes!)

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Amanda, while the mandate is there, there are not troops on the border...Maine has a similar plan yet my neighbors drove up, camped for a long weekend, and never got stopped even with out of state plates.

My plan would be to come home, quarantine, ask neighbors or friends to bring food (or bring it with me)....until such time as I could be tested. (The test I took, I called at 3pm and had a slot first thing the next morning. Result 36 hours later.)

Most of the tests are walk up (in neighborhoods where folks do not have cars) or drive up (all outdoors).

In fact, just today, we were notified that a new state testing site is to open in a large parking lot near our urban farm. We may have to wrangle a bit of parking but no big deal...The lot will have tents, where you can drive in. (And our farm equipment and trucks are off limits to access etc).

The test I took was in the parking lot of our hospital..I had an appointment set up ahead of time, I was to write my name, date of birth and appt time on a piece of paper put on my dashboard..I never left my car...and most private testing places will come out to you rather than have you come in..your son just needs to call ahead. And in Mass you need not have a reason, symptoms..the focus is testing everyone to track the virus.

One of the reasons our state is doing so well is TESTING! The emphasis is on it...we have pop up testing sites over time, targeted in communities with higher than average positive rates...Seems to be working...I wish the rest of the country would take note.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
grotriman just notified me that nyc is now requiring anyone from montana to undergo a quarantine period if they want to come to new york.

that's a switch.

my test was negative. and i kind of like the excuse that i'm in mandated quarantine to keep me from feeling left out of summer fun.

i have been in solitary pretty much since mid-january, and it is finally wearing thin.

my friends in the local area, however, have thrown caution to the wind going on campouts, family reunions, in-person group meetings, barbecues, group hikes, river trips in groups--etc, etc, etc.

and so now i do not feel safe joining them in all the fun stuff they are posting on fb, because they obviously are being very lax.

i'm supposed to hike with a friend tomorrow who is hosting a high school student who will start attending school in person tomorrow. she invited me to stay long enough to hear about the teen's first day of school.

uh-uh. i don't think so.

anyway, i had my procedure, the results were negatory, the house in missoula is sold :sniff:, and i have money now to invest and fund my life.

we'd love to jump in the car and go to the coast for a week or two, but i am still concerned about the risks.

we sometimes seem like the only people in montana who are sticking to the level of caution most of us had last march and april.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We just drove cross country and back without incident.

Stay in hotels with reasonable precautions, pack an ice chest, wear your mask. You’ll be fine.

Cindy — who hiked a dormant volcano in NM no one has ever heard of

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
We just drove cross country and back without incident.

Stay in hotels with reasonable precautions, pack an ice chest, wear your mask. You’ll be fine.

Cindy — who hiked a dormant volcano in NM no one has ever heard of

Ummmmm.... some of us live in NM some of the time.

Maybe Valles Caldera?

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post