well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Duke is closed
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duke is closed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
MUS system just announced moving things online at the moment giving campuses wiggle room to still hold labs, schools, dorms, dining still open. Mr. Jodi is sitting across from me typing away on his computer fielding questions from everybody including the newspaper (wanting a DETAILED plan) and emailing back and forth with his colleagues , in between calls with his boss, trying to figure this all out. It is truly like nothing we’ve ever seen before. Eeker

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My neighbor's son goes to Loyola in Chicago. They *just* went back after they had a break a couple of weeks ago. They are going online, shutting down the dorms, and all the students have to be out by next Thursday. Sounded like the end of the term.

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2020/...covid-19-fear-grows/

Similarly, University of Chicago:

https://news.uchicago.edu/stor...rning-spring-quarter

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is truly like nothing we’ve ever seen before.

I can imagine!!

I think our administration has done a really good job with how they've been communicating. My only real complaint is that they didn't move us to online classes sooner. But this is a very conservative state (with an idiot governor, as I've said before), so I know that there was a lot of pressure to not move online and risk being seen as contradicting the white house etc.

Anyway, I don't envy those, like Mr. Jodi, who are involved in the decision making and logistics. I know it's a nightmare. And I truly believe our top admin people really do want to do what's best of the students. I just think it's been very hard to know with confidence what exactly that is! At this point, though, I think the answer is clear, and that's why they finally decided to act.

Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Penn State closed as of yesterday, students given brief daily reprieves through Friday to collect "essential" belongings. Supposedly to reopen April 3.

Local U-Haul storages have given free month-long
storage to students affected.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Cal Poly Pomona also announced that they are moving to online classes wherever possible.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post