well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Duke is closed
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duke is closed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Although not until paragraph 5.

https://coronavirus.duke.edu/2...travel-restrictions/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Tufts is closed, according to my son.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duke is closed

Ah come on, I can’t believe my university is dragging its feet! I hope Duke’s decision has an impact on our leadership.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Tufts
Harvard
Emerson
Babson
Amherst
MIT for classes over 150
Olin College of Engineering
Smith
Suffolk

And that is just the Greater Boston area... Frowner

Mass Schools Closed/Online

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Duke is closed

Ah come on, I can’t believe my university is dragging its feet! I hope Duke’s decision has an impact on our leadership.

Is your school going with the official party line? Have they said anything at all?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yale too.

Tomorrow a hundred more.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Maryanna, what is the plan for your school? PD?

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My city is in large part a college campus for UMass Lowell...yet no word from them yet.

One of the newest housing buildings is private and open to both students and the general public... Shrug

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
There was a big meeting today to decide what to do. Rumor said that we would finish this week, have spring break next week, and then teach online for two weeks.

The powers-that-be decided to make no decision today. They are "monitoring the situation." The students are to take home whatever they need for online classes, in case they're told not to come back after Spring Break.

I'm in DC, stupidly exposing myself to who knows how many CPAC attendees and their extended social circles, so I don't have any classes left to teach before spring break. They'll decide what to do eventually. Or not....

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15517 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Tufts
Harvard
Emerson
Babson
Amherst
MIT for classes over 150
Olin College of Engineering
Smith
Suffolk

And that is just the Greater Boston area... Frowner

Mass Schools Closed/Online

Yikes
I have been trying to find out where Ma stands...worse than I would have thought... already...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Yale too.

Tomorrow a hundred more.

A lot of schools are on break this week. I suspect that, by Friday, we're going to hear a LOT of them are ending in-person classes. (Especially with all the big ones that have been announced so far, and with the Ohio governor recommending that all colleges in Ohio stop in-person classes.)

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is there a single college in America where the administration is taking the President seriously?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Yale too.

Tomorrow a hundred more.

Eeker

Posts: 24738 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is your school going with the official party line? Have they said anything at all?

Steve, oh yeah, they've been "saying stuff" for what seems like weeks now. But no action. We get a daily email with updates etc.

My school set up a COVID-19 page early on, telling students that "operations are continuing as normal" while behind the scenes telling faculty to get ready to move classes online if need be. There was a meeting with all chairs, deans and above (so I wasn't there, heard this from our chair) in which they laid out the stages and criteria for moving up from one stage to another. We have been at the "travel restrictions on faculty, restrictions on gatherings" stage for ... maybe two weeks now?? And apparently at that big meeting, it was explained that the "trigger" for moving classes online would be if there was a confirmed case in the four-county area that we are smack dab in the middle of.

There are confirmed cases one county over from one of our four counties, and there is one person "being monitored" (i.e. they're waiting for tests results) in our city, who is believed to be a university faculty or staff member b/c they've been described as not a student. Yesterday's email included for the first time the message that students leaving for spring break (starting this Saturday) should take with them anything they need to complete classes in the event that we move online. But that we're not moving online yet. The person "being monitored" is still just that, no results yet. I'm guessing those will come today.

I am, at this point, in agreement with this: “the responsibility for social distancing now falls on decision makers at every level of society.”
From this article:
Cancel everything.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Is there a single college in America where the administration is taking the President seriously?
Liberty "University"? Bob Jones? Trump U.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post