well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Disgrace known as Food Stamps aka SNAP
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Disgrace known as Food Stamps aka SNAP
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
What a holy **** show of a system...

I spent all day delivering to seniors on SNAP. (a bit of a blessing as I have not been out of my house all day for 2 months now!)

SNAP customers are not permitted to order online (a few weeks ago, there was change..they can order from Walmart or Amazon but no delivery).

So my deliveries are to seniors at risk...many with walkers, living several floors up, have to come to see me in person..as SNAP purchases are required to be in person with a card. Some can barely walk, some send their aides down with their cards.

The ideal would be if they could call in their order, with their number, we charge it and then deliver with no contact..but Nooooo

Folks at risk with disabilities have to come to me and hand me a card AND type their PIN in on my iPad I then wipe down for the next client...All done in my car, stop by stop.

I am so happy to meet my new clients..I will be seeing them every week going forward...But my org's philosophy is that if there is any obstacle, just give them the food...

I gave away all but two deliveries today out of 16. People need fresh food to stay healthy...period.

What an ass backward system..I am learning so much more as I work for my new org..

We were thrilled this week that NPR covered this issue..
SNAP Complications

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
You are a saint!

I suppose all that bureaucracy surrounding SNAP was put there in the name of preventing “fraud and abuse.” Safety and security measures become obstacles to helping people fast in an emergency.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Those requirements need to be suspended at this time. The resulting fraud cannot begin to compare with the benefit nor the amount of money thrown to the wind by CARES. Seniors are going to need contactless groceries for at least a year.

Even one resultant hospitalization could wipe out the savings from fraud prevention in any given town.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Looks like there is at least some movement on this for online ordering.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/...-respond-to-covid-19

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I don't know how this might or might not apply to SNAP purchases, but I have another concern.

The cost of food as ordered is at least 20% (often far more) online, besides which there's the tacked on delivery cost and the expectation of a heft tip. That makes online ordering quite a luxury and you can't even choose your produce and other special items.

I LIKE to food shop, though of course I'm curtailing it these days plus exercising due caution. Apart from the recreational angle, however, I can't justify the expense. Doesn't this factor into anybody else's food budgeting calculations?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Nope. Money well spent.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
“Not eating out” still saves more money than the added costs from higher grocery prices and delivery charges plus tips, I figure. Shrug

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Hadn't factored that in, but it is very true, especially in our case.

I miss going out to eat, but we usually do lunches out. Less crowded, no alcohol same great food, no larger meals at night. No matter, summer's coming so dinner on the deck will do.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Looks like there is at least some movement on this for online ordering.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/...-respond-to-covid-19

The new "online option" only applies to Walmart and Amazon here..not local farmers and markets where our SNAP customers get $40 of fresh produce for free (call Healthy Incentives Program aka HIP). Otherwise all SNAP/HIP transactions must be in person with their card, no phone orders.

And the online ordering requires they pick it up.

Most of the folks I visited had much difficulty coming to the door of their apartment buildings...There is no way they drive and taking the bus is just not a good option for them. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Has it always been like this, or is this an "enhancement" that is fairly recent? This clearly seems like a situation that warrants one of two things--either a temporary lifting of the requirement to be in person, or removal altogether. The cure is worse than the illness in this case.

My 2c!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Nina, a recent "enhancement" in just the last few weeks.

We had a meeting this morning with the agency who is overwhelmed themselves...It is apparent that the seniors, most not English speakers, do not understand the system (not their fault, the agency doesn't either so was unable to educate them).

We have decided we are going to just give them the food and forgo the state reimbursement. We spend more money trying to get reimbursed.

I will try again this week and see if it is doable for me alone, if not I have part of the route earmarked for someone else to do.

I would not want to stop now that I have met everyone and it seems that they understand my Spanish. Ole

I would rather spend my time chatting with them to check in..most live alone, one is 92 years old, than rangle card swiping, hot spots etc..in the street.

If you are inclined to help offset the cost of $640/month for them, you can visit www.millcitygrows.org to donate to cover the costs.

I am going to sew masks for each of the 16 clients..Just in my first visit to each, I am attached...they are so sweet and so vulnerable. I look forward to seeing them each Friday. Yes

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
BeeLady, I'm curious how the $640 is itemed according to costs.

I do know that SNAP benefits are about 1/3 of that (and sometimes much less).

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
BeeLady, I'm curious how the $640 is itemed according to costs.

I do know that SNAP benefits are about 1/3 of that (and sometimes much less).

Daniel, this figure is for all 16 clients for a month, not per person.

We have a program in Mass called HIP (Healthy Incentives Program). SNAP users are given an additional $40 credit each month for the purchase of fresh produce from local producers. We are an urban farm that provides HIP qualified produce. $40 x 16 clients gets me to that figure...It is not necessarily our costs, but what we would have gotten from the state reimbursement.

Note that if a person has no SNAP balance on their EBT card, they cannot take advantage of HIP.

Most of the folks I visited this week, had little ($1 or less) or no balance left on their cards...I asked a few when their 'reup' date was...some were nearly a week later..Not sure what they were doing about getting food till then..most cannot drive or leave their homes. Shrug

We have made the decision that fresh food is more important...period.

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
BeeLady: ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
BeeLady: ThumbsUp

There is a special place in heaven for you. Yes

MillCityGrows.org