well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Apollos Fire

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apollos Fire
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
“A Grammy winning Baroque Orchestra in residence in Ohio and Chicago”.

We attended a performance tonight, presented in a wonderful barn-like building which was constructed recently to house performances of this type. Excellent acoustics and excellent music.

The program was “The Fiddlers of Dublin” and covered Irish music from about 1600 to 1900. Spectacular voices and some cool period instruments. It’s the first time I’ve heard a harpsichord on stage, there was a hammer dulcimer, a lute, and a “Baroque guitar” - something I’ve never seen.

The guitar has 10 strings, doubled like on a modern 12 string guitar, a very small hole in the center and no bridge give it what the musician called a “very gentle sound”. Plucked or strummed it produced an unmistakably period tone. Very pleasant.

They travel quite a bit and if you get a chance to hear them I think you’d enjoy the show.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're great. I'd love to hear them if I have the opportunity.

I've also passed along the info to a friend who was a harpsichord major in college and who has several baroque instruments in her home!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Never heard of them. Now I want to go see.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The friend I forwarded the info to has seen them in the past at an early music festival in Madison. She says they're great! They will be at Ravinia this summer doing an Irish music program.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don’t know this group, but there’s another group called Les Arts Florissants that presents Baroque opera. Some years ago, I went to a production of an opera by Jean-Baptiste Lully, and believe me, it was nothing like our conception of opera formed in the 19th century. Beautiful, charming, dancey little numbers stitched together by the story. A light, lovely evening.

I really want to see Rameau’s “Les Indes Galantes,” the opera about Native Americans framed by Euro conceptions of them before they knew much about them. It must be a hoot!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed hearing period instruments when I’ve had the chance to, I’ll have to keep my eye out for Apollos Fire.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that.
I want to see them.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Their flutist was my son's baroque flute teacher!

Posts: 12542 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post