well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My other car...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My other car...
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
...isn't a car.

I just bought this:

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sat on a Gold Wing once. I need longer legs for a bike that large.
Very nice. Honda is hard to beat.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Nice! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It's two years older than the BMW it's replacing.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pretty big bike! What size is the engine?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cool

Congratulations!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37937 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Looks like a pretty big bike! What size is the engine?

1,833 cc (111.9 cu in
That is the size of the engine in some autos.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Vroom vroom!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
1,833 cc

Eeker

When we still lived in Japan, Mr. SK had a Yamaha.... bike, not piano. I am pretty sure it was 1200cc, and I thought that thing was huge!

quote:
That is the size of the engine in some autos.

Indeed. We are currently driving a Honda Fit, which I think is only 1300 cc! ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, actually, this is the previous generation. It's a 1500. Still bigger than some cars I've owned.

This is my third Goldwing.

My first "big" bike was a 1972 BMW 600.

Next was a 1991 Kawasaki Voyager -- basically their version of the Goldwing. It was horrible. Poorly designed, poorly executed, and left me stranded five times in the three years I owned it.

Next a 1989 Goldwing 1500 similar to this one. Nine years of trouble-free service, then it started blowing fuses and I could only narrow it down to wiring mods the previous owner made to tow a trailer with it.

Then a 2004 Goldwing 1800. First brand new bike I've ever owned. After the 1500, it was kinda disappointing. Not as smooth and didn't carry as much. It was fast and handled nicely, but I was more interested in carrying capacity. Sold it after two years.

Next up was the 2000 BMW K1200LT I've been riding for the last 14 years. 12 years of commuting has pretty much done it in. Still, it's the best BMW I've ever ridden and a marvelous touring bike. Now it has a fuel leak and needs some major engine work. And needs a new battery because it's been sitting for a year. Nevertheless, I jumped it yesterday and it started right up. I'll hate to see it go.

Several years ago, my neighbor was moving to California and had a 1996 Goldwing 1500. I knew I wanted another one at some point, so I bought it. He needed cash and I paid a tad more than it was worth. I still have it, but it needs work (battery, mufflers, tires). It will be one of my first retirement projects.

I saw this one on craigslist and pounced on it. The guy had three other calls right after mine, but I was first. Saw it. Rode it. Bought it.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Yamaha.... bike, not piano
Still, Yamaha's logo on their motorcycles, generators, stereos, and whatever else they built is three tuning forks.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Sat on a Gold Wing once. I need longer legs for a bike that large.
Very nice. Honda is hard to beat.
I always found the seats uncomfortably wide and splayed my legs too much. The previous owner of my first Goldwing was about 5 foot 4. He had had the seat modified to take out some of the padding and make it shorter.

The guy traded it in on a BMW R1100RT. He practically needed a step ladder to get on it.

I passed up the BMW R1200RT because I couldn't put both feet on the ground. It is otherwise an awesome motorcycle. Saved myself $25K.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com