well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Books Bound in Human Skin

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books Bound in Human Skin
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/0...k0.seQw.b2wPHcOi-ID1

quote:
Books Bound in Human Skin: An Ethical Quandary at the Library

Harvard’s recent decision to remove the binding of a notorious volume in its library has thrown fresh light on a shadowy corner of the rare book world.

Emotional recoil aside, it just doesn't look to me like human skin is thick or study enough to make book covers. Shrug

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
You can make lamp shades from it.

Posts: 24730 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Look at it as recycling. Otherwise our bodies mostly end up as polluting waste.

I recall putting a quite notorious book into 'reference and by special request only' because it was in danger of being abused by idiots. It remains the essential treatise on facial reconstruction for surgeons.

Written by a Nazi doctor who dissected jews/homosexuals and used other camp inmates to draw the illustrations of muscles nerves etc, later editions have the photos of subjects removed I believe.

But after 70 years it remains the reference work.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Knowledge of human anatomy has nothing to do with eugenics. Good Grief.

Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
The problem with many dilemmas is a judgement between two ideas that 'young' people, inexperienced or untrained, jump at without proper consideration.

In the case of this book produced in horrific conditions, there was on one side a woke student body, and on the other a need by surgeons worldwide for the information held uniquely within it. Out of print for decades, most surgeons now source their own used copy and libraries effectively hide theirs.

I've handled books made from hides and honestly couldn't tell one type from another.

Leave the fur on and sealskin fur is nice!

In over 3 decades, the only weird book to handle was a rather bristly small bible, amazing condition original binding for an incunabulum, from the 14C. Unshaved goat or hog possibly, and felt very animal, oddly tactile.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
You're acting like a troll.

You either don't know what eugenics is or you really don't care.

The former is incredible; the latter is disgusting.

I'm putting you on Ignore.

I don't spend my time taking to people who act like trolls.