well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How to go for a walk safely

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to go for a walk safely
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
without shaming

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As I think I mentioned elsewhere, I was going out for walks with my neighbor when she walks her puppy. We ran into someone walking her puppy and my friend stopped to let the dogs say hello. Leashes got tangled as the pups did what pups do, running around each other and their owners' legs. The owners ended up nearly face to face as they reflexively moved to untangle the dogs.

I can't tell you how many people and dogs I've seen in our neighborhood that I've never seen before. People are getting out and moving and being together, with spouses and children and with their dogs.

Great article. Really lays out the various factors at play.

We are in a time of uncertainty and fear and we will all react differently.

Just stop and breathe.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
In my neighborhood, there are no sidewalks (welcome to the South, it's like that in most neighborhoods). It's a regular residential area (the speed limit is 25 mph) and it's fine for walking or jogging, just no sidewalks.

Usually we complain about that. But, as a result, that means people stay on the left shoulder when they walk, so you never pass someone the way you might if two people were going in opposite directs on a narrow sidewalk. We've been walking every day that the weather permits it, and when we've passed people going the opposite direction, they're always on the other side of the road. So that's a good thing at least.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The bike path is not wide enough.
I can walk the long oval street where Bob's house is and over to an area with stables and watch the horses.
Bob walks the bike path.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We have sidewalks, and we cross the street when we see oncoming pedestrians.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post