well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Unemployed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unemployed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That trailer is awesome!! Big Grin

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We're shipping Sharon's car and driving the truck and box trailer with heavier stuff in it. Four new tires and two new tarps so we're good to go.

We've given away the furniture in those three rooms, plus the patio furniture, some china and a bunch of pictures, as well as a ton (maybe more) of stuff from the garage that isn't worth what it would cost to move it. Sold some stuff, too.

We selected the second to lowest quote (United, in this case) as it seemed the most realistic and allowed us a discount for things we don't have them move pound-for-pound. Two of the other bidders only allow about 75 cents on the dollar. This mover also discounts at full rate any boxes we pack ourselves, and we've packed quite a bit using free used boxes we've found on line.

Packers arrive 10/28 and the the moving van loads 10/29. We hope to be on the road by 10/30, dog and all.

One possible snarl is that motels that allow dogs often have a 35 pound cutoff. We plan to tell them that Sam really isn't that big, he's just "fluffy". Smiler

I managed to find places that would let me bring an 80-pound German shepherd.

La Quintas are usually good.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’ll look at those. Thanks!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club!

That’s a great plan. And that’s a great trailer.

I hope the move is easy and smooth.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I found that few things make moving easier than having all of the boxes the same size. Or a small number of sizes.

Before I moved back here from DC, I worked for IBM. For a year, I collected copier paper boxes and PC boxes. I had about a dozen PC boxes and several dozen paper boxes. All the small stuff went in the small boxes. PCs and big stuff went in the big boxes. Only a few things were bigger than that, like my 1976 Amana Radarange, but I found a couple boxes that were the same width and depth as the PC boxes, but twice the height. When it came time to load the truck, after the furniture went in, we just started in one corner and stacked the boxes. No looking for something small to fill a gap between two odd-size things.

And on the other end, exactly one item was broken: a glass that my housemate had packed without wrapping it.

Is there any way you can fill up that trailer no higher than the top and secure a few sheets of plywood to the top? Maybe put a tarp over that to keep it dry, but something more secure than just tarps. That will help keep everything in, both on the road and on your overnights (if you get my drift).

My neighbor had a box trailer like that and stood up sheets of plywood (okay... OSB) all the way around the inside, then stuck some angle brackets along the tops and put two sheets on the top and screwed them all down from the inside. He moved two motorcycles and a bunch of shop tools and things in the trailer. It worked well.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I can’t legally put all that much in the trailer because it doesn't have brakes. The limit is like 2K pounds in a number of states and the trailer itself weighs some 1500 pounds.

I had intended to put pipes across the trailer under the tarps but I like the plywood idea better. I took up some half rotten stuff when I fixed the floor that should be just the ticket! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Going down steep hill, trailer tows you!

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Congrats on retirement! Love the trailer - a dumpster on wheels!

You shouldn't have much issue with long slopes once you get past Arizona, if you are taking 40.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I’m 2 years into it and thriving. My advice is to get a part time job like mine: counting crows overhead every afternoon from three to five while soaking in the hot tub. Pay sucks but benefits are huge.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations
Expect you to wonder how you ever found time for work soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement, Steve. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Steve! ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Congratulations
Expect you to wonder how you ever found time for work soon.

This. I marvel at how full my time is. Between cooking, cleaning, pets, exercise, piano and arranging resources for house projects I'm pretty tied up.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post