well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Unemployed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unemployed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Today is my first official day of retirement, and for the first time in over 50 years I find myself unemployed.

It's also the first time I have been a tenant since 1976.

ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The house is starting to clear out.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Did the movers already take the furniture out, or have you gotten rid of it?

And...are you having your cars shipped, or are you driving them cross-country?

And....congratulations on retirement!!!

groupwave

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What Wtg said!! Congratulations on retirement!!!

groupwave

Also, looks like you're making great time emptying out your house, wow!

When are you moving? Did you find a moving company that works for you?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!! happydance

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We're shipping Sharon's car and driving the truck and box trailer with heavier stuff in it. Four new tires and two new tarps so we're good to go.

We've given away the furniture in those three rooms, plus the patio furniture, some china and a bunch of pictures, as well as a ton (maybe more) of stuff from the garage that isn't worth what it would cost to move it. Sold some stuff, too.

We selected the second to lowest quote (United, in this case) as it seemed the most realistic and allowed us a discount for things we don't have them move pound-for-pound. Two of the other bidders only allow about 75 cents on the dollar. This mover also discounts at full rate any boxes we pack ourselves, and we've packed quite a bit using free used boxes we've found on line.

Packers arrive 10/28 and the the moving van loads 10/29. We hope to be on the road by 10/30, dog and all.

One possible snarl is that motels that allow dogs often have a 35 pound cutoff. We plan to tell them that Sam really isn't that big, he's just "fluffy". Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I bought this trailer in 1995 for $400. Best investment I ever made. Some of you may remember other pictures of it at work - it used to be white.

Sharon doesn't much care for the looks of it but it's going to get one last job done before I retire it. We found a relative with a farm who will store it indefinitely and let us use it when we want to.

The travel trailer is going to AZ for storage 10/16.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! And now a big moving adventure!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
"Hello. Do you still have the wall detail drawings for the Limited too store in the Moreno Valley Mall?"

"Errr... maybe. Why do you ask?"

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the retirement. It's a great gig!

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

As-builts are sometimes way to hard to find.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Errr... maybe. Why do you ask?"

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
You made it!!

And all your skills will come in handy for you and your family forever. Few retirees can say that to the extent you can.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post