well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How are you filling your days?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you filling your days?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
How ambitious you guys are.

I just got so depressed it was hard to get motivated.

Last couple of days were warmer and nice, so to the gardens I went!

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Isolated in Tucson.
Can take walks that take me past a stable. I can look at the horses.
Use a low traffic street and a gravel path that is next to the bike path.
Tried a fiddle before I left Colorado, but did not bring one here.
Ordered one online. I like it.
Got a strap which lets me position the fiddle lower where my arms and shoulders can work.
Started an oline class that requires video submissions of my playing.
Hope that by submitting videos I an overcome some of my stage fright.
As some of you saw, I have a bad case of stage fright which prevents me from playing well, but does not stop me from trying once in a while. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
So good to get these pictures of how each of you are. I'm glad to see that most of you seem to be doing pretty well.

This shelter in place order has basically been like Groundhog Day for me. I was laid up for 8 weeks recovering from my knee replacement before the pandemic hit. Now I'm in week 12, and other than limited energy, I am doing really well. One thing I learned how to do this winter was how to enjoy doing absolutely nothing. That training is coming in handy. I'm just allowing myself to be as active or productive as I feel like, then stop and take a nap.

Most days I'm riding my exercise bike, doing my physical therapy, taking increasingly longer hikes, hanging out with my horses, I have ridden a couple of times--no pain, but boy it was exhausting. I hope to take a riding lesson again soon. The hardest part will be having enough energy to trailer over there and get back home again. It's a 40 minute drive one way. The barn where I take lessons is only allowing ok me visitor there at a time. Everyone has their designated hour. I'm going to put a bucket of shavings in my trailer dressing room so I don't have to use their bathroom.

There's an online group that is dedicating itself to walking your horse from the ground 100 miles a month for the duration of the pandemic. I was already well on my way there. We take the horses five minutes down the road and do a three mile hike with them. Great for bonding and improving my knee at the same time. I no longer have pain. It's a huge milestone.

My number one focus has been getting my strength and function back. It was a real blow to lose access to the gym and the hot springs, where I could exercise in the water. So I recently started taking a fantastic online Pilates mat class. This course is taught by Alison Laundrie, who was the best Pilates instructor in NYC years ago. Now she runs Move Missoula. I used to take private lessons with her when I lived there. The classes are done via Zoom, so she can see what you are doing and she corrects you if you are getting it wrong. You can buy a monthly pass or just sign up for one class when you feel like it. I'm getting better results from her than from my PT. If you are interested in signing up, google Move Missoula Zoom mat class. She is a great instructor!

Despite choosing to focus on healing for several months, I haven't stopped working. At some point I'll transition back over to that being my main focus. Probably in the next few weeks. Meanwhile I'm not sure what is going to happen with my Missoula house with the rental market no doubt going to be heavily affected by the economic stress we are all experiencing. I'm so grateful Mr Pique still has a job and is working from home. But just in case, I've applied for my social security benefit, which is going to be about the same amount I was getting from rental income. Fingers crossed that my current tenant will keep paying the rent and that when her lease ends this summer, i will be able to find another tenant.

I have been out grocery shopping once and frankly it scared me. Nobody seems to be taking the pandemic seriously here. I'll go again in another week if i have to. Maybe by then people will have gotten more of a clue.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I no longer have pain

This is just wonderful piqué!!

Also, I just gotta say, alla y'all oughta be playing more pee-yanna!!!!

Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If it's any comfort, Pique, I was very worried about collecting rents as well. Most of the people who live in the building work in the hospitality industry one way or the other - mostly having to do with Disneyland. I went through my head figuring who is likely working and who isn't and it didn't look good. Made some contingency plans but things looked bleak.

As it turns out I got all of my rents this month but $300 - never would have believed it and I have no idea how they did it. We'll see about next month but for this month we're good.

Perhaps your tenant will find a way as well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
If it's any comfort, Pique, I was very worried about collecting rents as well. Most of the people who live in the building work in the hospitality industry one way or the other - mostly having to do with Disneyland. I went through my head figuring who is likely working and who isn't and it didn't look good. Made some contingency plans but things looked bleak.

As it turns out I got all of my rents this month but $300 - never would have believed it and I have no idea how they did it. We'll see about next month but for this month we're good.

Perhaps your tenant will find a way as well.

That is very comforting! I am leaving this to the property manager I hired. She has an excellent relationship with the tenant, who can be a total flake. If the funds don't show up in my account, I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Since I have a 1099 for last year's rental income, can I apply for unemployment if the tenant doesn't pay, do you think?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You can certainly apply, just don’t expect much.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post