well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trying chess again.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying chess again.
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Many years ago I decided to shell out for a nice Studio Anne Carlton chess set from the UK. This was at the beginning of the internet age, and I was shocked to be able to send an email and have the box arrive in the mail -- avoiding the border tax man completely -- a week or so later.
Studio Anne Carlton

Thanks. Knew sets like that had to be available somewhere. I do think a Staunton would be best for me.

For playing serious chess, there is nothing better than a simple Staunton set. Everything is clean and clear so that you can concentrate on position, not on figuring out if that's a pawn or a bishop on that square!

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Many years ago I decided to shell out for a nice Studio Anne Carlton chess set from the UK. This was at the beginning of the internet age, and I was shocked to be able to send an email and have the box arrive in the mail -- avoiding the border tax man completely -- a week or so later.
Studio Anne Carlton

Thanks. Knew sets like that had to be available somewhere. I do think a Staunton would be best for me.

For playing serious chess, there is nothing better than a simple Staunton set. Everything is clean and clear so that you can concentrate on position, not on figuring out if that's a pawn or a bishop on that square!

I agree with that assessment. The ability to assess the position on the board without confusion is essential, AFAIC.

I have only played casually for many years. My most serious competition was against another player who lived in the room opposite mine in the university dorm during my college years.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7425 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My son was really into chess as a little kid (grade school), joined the school chess club, etc. He did really well in the few competitions he was in. But ultimately he wasn't a competitive type (still not) and his interest in getting up early on the weekends for a chess tournament waned. Big Grin

He's still pretty good, still just plays online for fun. I think he's found a group that seem well-matched, both in terms of skill and cut-throadedness.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have no interest or energy beyond casual playing. Not ready to move beyond the most simple level of computer play yet.
Have played "Jimmy" so far. Will be avoiding the Vladimirs, Darths,tournaments, and the like.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The company I mentioned. Lots of eye candy.

https://www.houseofstaunton.com/chess-sets.html

Posts: 24791 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I learned to play chess when I was about 10 years old after school in the school yard from other kids playing the game. I didn’t become a serious player though.

If you buy a chess set, you might want to consider purchasing it from a manufacturer that offers replacement pieces like the original ones. It’s inevitable that over time, chess men will get lost or broken. Chess sets come in different styles and materials and usually come as a set including a chess board and chess men. Some companies guarantee that you can buy individual replacement pieces that match the original pieces exactly. I think they’re mostly European companies.

If you like chess, see the movie “Queen to Play”, a French movie about a woman who learns to play the game in adulthood, becomes good at it, and then becomes a champion tournament player. It's in French and subtitled in English.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have found that online gaming is either with someone must be using a computer to play rapid perfect moves or they vanish the instant the games takes a bad turn for them.
Looking for a way to play a computer at my own speed.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Maybe i should take a look at cribbage.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
There's an idea. When I worked in northern Minnesota, I learned that nearly every bar had a cribbage board or two underneath for players who wanted to have a go while they drank. I considered learning the game, but wasn't there for so long as to do so.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7425 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think dominoes are the upper limit of games I can handle.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have a cribbage board I bought on the beach in Puerto Vallarta. It has been on a table at Bob's with a new deck of cards on it since we returned in January 2019
Maybe its time has come.

I know nothing of dominoes, except for political theories.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I have read and experienced online games
are rife with players using chess engines to determine a players every move. Seems pointless to play my computer vs. your computer.