well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trying chess again.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying chess again.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Have you had any success at the game.
How did you learn?
I would like to develop a skill level above my present 0.
Have tried before and lost interest. This time I am spending more time with puzzles and the lowest level of games at chess.com

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Nevermind
Seems when you play an opponent online he/she is using a computer chess engine.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I started playing chess when I was about ten. My father taught me, but he didn't have the patience to think ahead, and had never done any "book learning." I started taking it sort of seriously in junior high and joined the chess team. In eighth grade I won Miami's junior high tournament. Again in 9th grade.

Alas, that was the high water mark of my "career." Big Grin

The game took more book learning and deep thinking than I could give it, and the truly good players passed by me like a Tesla in insane mode!

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Like Pianodad, I learnt as a child, an Uncle taught me mostly, never came close to beating him.
Also played for fun against a serious Chess Club member who had the room next to mine in the University Hall of Residence.
In the 90's when a friend wanted to improve we played remotely at first, a couple of moves each day, but it is a very intense 'game' and without time limit can become mentally exhausting.
Is it fun to play this way we asked ourselves? He got us a chess clock, we played head to head and that helped.

These days I use the puzzles in the weekend paper we get.

Regarding the equipment: if you can, get a biggish chess set, a board sized to match the pieces you've chosen, and something decent to store the pieces in individually (if they're worth half damn). Nothing worse than pouring jumbled pieces out of a box and getting a queen & king with chipped crowns etc.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 384 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I started playing chess when I was about ten. My father taught me, but he didn't have the patience to think ahead, and had never done any "book learning." I started taking it sort of seriously in junior high and joined the chess team. In eighth grade I won Miami's junior high tournament. Again in 9th grade.

Not bad! Big Grin

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:

Not bad! Big Grin

Yes, excellent! Congrats on that.

Have a small set that is a wooden box with a chess board painted on top of it. My name and 2020 was stenciled onto itl. The pieces are stored in the box.
Considered a large board, but do not have a space for it. Plan to stay with what I have and the puzzles on chess.com for now.
Ordered Bobby Fischer's 60 Memorable games. Think that is the title. It is said to be essential. for study.
Have no intention of immersing myself in chess studies. I can pick the level of play of virtual opponents, which I like so far.

Klondike Solitaire was getting old.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I decided to shell out for a nice Studio Anne Carlton chess set from the UK. This was at the beginning of the internet age, and I was shocked to be able to send an email and have the box arrive in the mail -- avoiding the border tax man completely -- a week or so later.

Studio Anne Carlton

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have an almost giant set that I bring to events, picnics...

I love chess though I don't have folks I know who play...I am not good at it, just enjoy it.

I do love watching the kids play with our set..

On our visits to my parents in Delaware there is a set outside a toy store in the court yard very near Biden's summer home in Rehoboth Delaware..
Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
PD, wow, nice chess set.

I got a 4 1/4 inch staunton style, £7 from the Salvation Army thrift shop (told me it is french from early 20c). So nice I had to get a box to protect it, which ironically cost £100.

Less lucky with the Romanian solid beech chessboard, £30 ebay bargain.
Plywood

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 384 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We have (or had, I haven't looked in few years) a company that makes regulation sized Staunton replica sets in plastic, weighted, with felt bottoms.

I think that would be perfect for me, but I don't know anyone who plays and wouldn't actually get any use out of it.

My uncle taught me how to play when I was a kid.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many years ago I decided to shell out for a nice Studio Anne Carlton chess set from the UK. This was at the beginning of the internet age, and I was shocked to be able to send an email and have the box arrive in the mail -- avoiding the border tax man completely -- a week or so later.
Studio Anne Carlton

Thanks. Knew sets like that had to be available somewhere. I do think a Staunton would be best for me.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I can't remember how or when I learned to play chess. In college there were tournaments where one guy played eight opponents at once. Missoula had an Octoman chess player too.

Coincidentally, the NYTimes recently started publishing end games of the masters--you play the opponent in these famous matches. I tried a few of them and they are truly fascinating and I would think would help you get going again.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Meant to add; Mr Pique is a pretty good chess player. When he was ten, his father spent most of the year in hospital (he caught some obscure lung fungus when he was in Africa in WWII) and my husband passed the time with his father playing chess. As his father's condition worsened, the chess matches became a daily ritual.

We started playing chess together not long after we were married, but Mr. Pique lost interest. I think it reminds him too much of the year he lost his father. Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
We have (or had, I haven't looked in few years) a company that makes regulation sized Staunton replica sets in plastic, weighted, with felt bottoms.

I think that would be perfect for me, but I don't know anyone who plays and wouldn't actually get any use out of it.

My uncle taught me how to play when I was a kid.

Daneil, for me wood has a warmth that is a pleasure to hold. I love the Isle of Lewis set (British Museum has the famous originals). A Selangor pewter version would last forever, but this one seduces me:

https://www.regencychess.co.uk...chess-set-p-556.html

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
AD, very fine.

It had me at hello. Lol.