well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chess Trivia

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chess Trivia
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
You go into lobby of big fancy hotel.

There’s a chess tournament going on there. It’s between rounds, all the players are in the lobby, talking about their latest victories.

What month of the year is it ?

December, of course…

…”Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer…”

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Haha Good one
The Queen's Gambit and isolation due to Covid have kicked off a wave of people learning the game.

Decided to learn enough to play chess with a bit of competence. Not sure my ancient brain is up to the task.
Simply knowing how the different pieces can move
makes one a "wood pusher".

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded that my son was an avid chess player through high school and even competed in school tournaments. There were no queen's gambit-level players, but there were a small handful of kids who were really good. My son was sort of "above average," I guess--good enough to advance through the comps only to get wiped out at a certain level. He still enjoys playing but has a hard time finding others that aren't "wood pushers."

I am a "wood pusher." Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post