well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sam (Warning - pictures may disturb sensitive forumites)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sam (Warning - pictures may disturb sensitive forumites)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Sam hadn't been himself for a while (listless, uninterested in geese or his toys, occasional barfing) so we took him to the vet. All he could determine is that he has an enlarged spleen - which could be removed for about $3K if we wanted, but may or may not be the issue. Passed on that, took home some meds and waited two weeks.

He got worse. The only thing that had changed was that the lump on his shoulder (previously diagnosed as a benign fat lump, typical for older dogs) had developed a scab on it. Back to the vet.

Turns out that fat lump was infected and once they shaved around it we could see that it had actually grown quite large and had turned a nasty red.

Vet cleaned it out and sent us home with antibiotics. Sam had to wear tee shirts for a while as it took a while to heal. He didn't seem to mind and I rather like the look. I think he will be wearing more tee shirts in the future - possibly seasonal or holiday themed. Cool

The antibiotics worked. He's back to his old self and the area is nearly completely healed!

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Great news for Sam! I think we'll require periodic photos of him displaying his new t-shirt wardrobe.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. I was afraid it might not turn out as happily.

May I suggest

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
He'll feel so much better!

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
So glad this had a happy ending! I also want to see dog t-shirt pics!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hoooooray!!!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, very glad he’s better! And yes, t-shirt pics please!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So glad Sam is on the mend.

We definitely need a Christmas t-shirt pic...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Just curious ... was there surgery? Did the vet cut into the skin?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The vet did make a cut but it was small enough it didn’t require any anesthesia. Sam was pretty chill about the whole thing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post