well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Voter suppression in Afghanistan

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voter suppression in Afghanistan
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Didn't work.

quote:
The Taliban cut off Safiullah Safi’s right forefinger for voting in 2014. That did not stop the businessman from doing it again....

During the 2014 presidential vote, Taliban fighters cut off the fingers of at least six voters.

“I know it was a painful experience, but it was only a finger,” Safi said by telephone. “When it comes to the future of my children and country I will not sit back even if they cut off my whole hand.”

Safi described how in 2014 he had cast his vote and a day later traveled from the capital Kabul, where he lives, to the eastern city of Khost, his finger marked by the ink from voting.

“The Taliban took me out of the car and away from the road where they set up a court,” he said.

“They cut off my finger, asking why I had taken part in the election despite their warning... My family told me to not do it this time, but instead I took them all to cast our votes.”

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-again-idUSKBN1WD09I

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37892 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
And our average voter turnout is 50-60% for presidential elections. Sad.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13552 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post