well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Counting the dead

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counting the dead
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Am hearing people say that COVID deaths are being over reported.

As usual, the truth is more complicated/nuanced....

https://www.medpagetoday.com/i...isease/covid19/86127

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Flu vs. corona counts, how they are different.

https://news.google.com/articl...S&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Am hearing people say that COVID deaths are being over reported.

Wow! Right along (except early on by FOX news et al) I've been hearing how greatly COVID-19 deaths are being UNDER-reported - and not just in the US.
Most everywhere. Sometimes owing to more rigorous criteria, sometimes because of lack of testing, the obfuscation of multiple causation, but VERY often (perhaps most often) for political/economic reasons.

(The article is interesting all the same, WTG! Just struck by your initial assertion which is so radically different from what I've been hearing and the rationales. It IS intriguing to compare the states and the machinations differentiating one state's reporting from another.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My remark in the first post was tongue-in-cheek.

Yes, I'm hearing about overcounting from my Fox News watching friends. It's part of the Deep State/Democrat conspiracy to make I-1 look bad.

I figure there might be some small kernel of truth in what they say, so I like to tease out what's actually going on by digging deeper.

Like I said, the "truth" can be complex and nuanced...I think there may well be some level of overcounting in some instances but from what I've read, I think there is far more likely to be systemic undercounting.

Bazootiehead-in-training