well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Paintless Dent Repair

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paintless Dent Repair
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Sharon's car had six little dents in it, probably from shopping carts and such. I took it to a new shop in town where they do "paintless dent repair". I was skeptical but it came out great! You can't see where the dents were at all.

I liked that so much I took it over to a detail place for a "clay bar wax". This is something fairly new where they rub the car with clay before they wax it. I'm very impressed - it's never looked this good.

For an extra $20 they also buffed the film off of the headlights. I've tried several times to do this myself on various cars and it never comes out right. They got the lenses perfectly clear!

Not bad for an 8 year old car that has never been garaged!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Looks like it came off the showroom floor. Very impressive.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Whoa! We should do that with our (outdoor) car!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I put a dent in the Subie forward of the front wheel well. Do they need to be able to get to the backside of the dent to be able to fix it? It did break the paint, but I can hit it with the touch-up paint. There is a bit of a ripple around the dent, but if I can get the dent out, I’d be happy.

It sucks when you dent your own car with your own motorcycle.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Most of the time, yes, they need to get to the backside of the dent. I had one in my VW Passat that I was able to improve a lot just yanking on it with the smallest plunger I could find. The dentless place said it was a sealed double panel and they couldn't do anything for it.

There are other gizmos online that use some sort of quick-set glue to pull dents out from the outside. I never did order one to give it a try...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The guy who did the work said the six dents would require 4 different techniques depending on their individual characteristics.

It was all very Zen.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I went looking for that near me but all I got was ads for Brazilian wax jobs.

If only they could make my body look that good.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post