well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Eat beans and live longer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eat beans and live longer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
The Ikarian way

“How to be good to your body without being mean to your mind"

I like this idea a lot.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
"where people connect through food around a table"

My favorite ways to socialize.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13548 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Always loved beans. I make them often. (Maybe that's why I'm still here Big Grin.) I prefer to soak and cook them from scratch, but often use good-quality canned ones when time is short.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13810 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This butter bean (no cook) dish is now part of my regular repertoire ...

Butter beans with pistachio dukkah

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Love the food philosophy.

Those both look like great recipes. Will definitely try them out.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tried the Kochilas recipe for lunch. Made a few substitutions based on what was in the pantry...yellow onion instead of red and kale instead of eggplant. Oh, and canned San Marzano tomatoes. Still, it was excellent!

Almost felt like dancing...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to try that recipe. It looks great!

I used that article as inspiration to make a pot of my favorite Great Northerns. Ham stock (just made it - deserves much greater distribution), soaked Great Northerns, mirepoix with double onions, red bell pepper and a couple of jalapeños. Garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme -the last of what I froze last fall. Added a few bits of leftover ham at the end.

I could eat it every day. In fact, I just might. ThumbsUp

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Try Rancho Gordo. There is a waiting list for their Bean Club.

I like their huge beans the best. Just got our shipment today. Huge white beans served with an herbed olive oil.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard of that place.

I need to check it out! ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
...where the tempo of life is slow and easy...

I suspect this more closely correlated with longevity than a few legumes.

Not to dis legumes; au contraire. Love 'em. (Just wish I was more successful at cooking them.) But I'm quite convinced that one cannot eat oneself to longevity.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think whiling away an afternoon at an outdoor café with a friend, or a book, and a coffee or glass of wine, contributes to longevity. I’m working on it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13810 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post