well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Snow Day

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow Day
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
The house was getting a little small so we drove out to the mountains to play with the dog in the snow.

My first idea was to drive up to one of the ski resort towns, play in the snow, maybe have a cup of coffee and look at the shops, but that was not going to happen. Traffic on all off ramps leading to mountain access roads were backed up for miles and I turned back. This wasn't ski traffic - no one had skis on top of their cars - there were all people needing a pandemic break and taking the kids out to throw snowballs. Sad to say most of them would never make it.

I decided to see if the high desert was high enough to have snow and drove up to where the shooting range is - the one where I shoot trap. (Lytle Creek) It's about 4000 ft. elevation and if you take the unpaved road past that you climb another 500 ft. and there we found snow. There were others there with the same idea but not many. Beautiful!

The unpaved road is not in good shape, especially when you're driving something that sits as low as Sharon's car. 90% of the other traffic on that road were 4x4s of various kinds.

I've always liked seeing the desert with snow on it. The storm was a week ago and most of it has melted already. I'd like to tell you how we braved the elements but in reality it was about 50 degrees. Nice!

Sam enjoyed it very much but could hardly walk after a while. This dog is used to walking on carpet and grass, not sharp rocks.

King of the mountain:

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! Great photos!

Our town has a botanical garden where normally we go all year long. But we haven't gone since the pandemic started because the parking lot is always packed, probably with people who have cabin fever, and the trails are too narrow. We miss it, but we'll wait till the pandemic is over!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Sam and Mrs Miller look like they're having lots of fun.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
What a great looking dog!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post