well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
A Mathuscheck "Square revival" of the 1930's:

--------------------------------
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Back where the piano started:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7566 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I don't think we've had a look at this particular giraffe piano:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7566 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ma'am, your movers are here!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post

When I was very young, I remember hooking one of these belonging to my sister up to a hair dryer on cool air at low speed, voila - an organ!!!

I remember the hair dryer blower case was powder blue and puck shaped, about the size of a dinner plate, and about 3 or 4 inches thick. Not unlike this one...

You were supposed to lay it on a table or your lap, and a hose from it went to this bag like thingy you put over your hair to let it dry. I just taped the hose to the mouthpiece of the melodica, hooked it up to the dryer, turned on the power (making sure the heat was off)and pretended I was Rick Wakeham.

Jamie

A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
A Mathuscheck "Square revival" of the 1930's:

I've seen several styles of Mathushek square grands from the 30s. Seems they'd started calling them "spinet grands" by that time--perhaps to distance them from the reputation "square" grands had gotten with techs that resulted in that big bonfire in NYC in 1900 of a 1000 square grands. I'm curious what Mathushek was thinking by reverting to that style at that particular time so soon after the depression and after thousands of makers had already gone belly-up. Truly an odd anomaly in the market to see that particular re-emergence. Somewhere I have pictures of a nice red mahogany Mathushek "spinet grand" from the 30s I contemplated buying for my collection. Listening to some clips from a PW link a couple of days ago that were from a recent CD made on an old Chickering square from the 1860s, it struck me how "authentic" the sound of the square was for certain types of music--not quite "honky tonk" but leaning that direction. Those were sounds appropriate to the genre of music on that CD that simply could never be replicated on a grand nor very easily on most uprights. What surprised me most was that while I thought the treble end too "nasal" for my tastes, the bass was quite nice. That was quite the opposite of what I'd have expected from string lengths and soundboard area.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the added background info, Rick. I read in one of my piano references about the "Square revival" of the 1930's, so your added info fascinates me!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
From another forum, a Steinway:

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Whoa! What forum? Is that that Yanni of the piano guy who people at PW's Pianist corner were laughing talking about?

That square one could easily double as a sideboard - serve your buffet, clear it, on on to a final course of caberet.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
Whoa! What forum? Is that that Yanni of the piano guy who people at PW's Pianist corner were laughing talking about?

That square one could easily double as a sideboard - serve your buffet, clear it, on on to a final course of caberet.

I "think" it was Piano Street.

You could dance on top of that square grand too! Big Grin

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Here's a way to keep an active spine and core during those long practice sessions:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
This is what my wife uses when she sits with my boys to practice with them!

Regards,

G

Grotrian-Steinweg 192 "Cabinet" 2004
Ibach 183 - 1977, restored 2009

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i'm sitting on one of those right now. but it isn't going to do her any good. look at the way she is hunching up her shoulders. she's going to pay for that!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post