well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    September WTFer of the Month - kluurs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

September WTFer of the Month - kluurs
 Login/Join

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
Ken, we WTF'er voyeurs love a good mushy story. Even if you've told it before, how and where did you meet Carol, and what was she thinking?

We met on the running path of love. We both joined a running group in downtown Chicago and both were training for a marathon. Carol got to hear about my dates from hell stories which were a big hit with much of Chicago's running community.

In any case, Carol took pity upon me and soon I was running races because a certain someone was going to be there.

We've been together now for 13 years. She must be a saint.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
quote:
Kluurs, I'm fascinated by your experience in running (as I've never been much good at it).
Can you tell me a little more about it?
How long have you been running, and have you done a marathon?
If so, how many marathons have you done?

I've been running about 20 years now. I started very slowly after a friend did a talk on running. I had pretty much trashed my shoulders on weight lifting - so I decided that it was time to ruin the rest of my body. Running seemed like the perfect approach.

I ran my first marathon back in '97. I hadn't planned on running it but started running with a group of people who were training for the Chicago marathon. After I did a 20 mile run with them, I thought it couldn't be too much more difficult to do the marathon - so I signed up.

The first marathon was tough. Subsequent marathons weren't quite as bad. I'm probably getting close to 20 marathons now. I'm scheduled to run one next month. I don't aim so much for a great time at this point - just do them as part of training. I may not do them much longer as I'm not sure how happy my body is with doing them.

I have a bit of a schedule -

Monday: tempo run - 8 miles - divided into 2 4 mile sessions with a 5 minute break in the middle.

Tuesday: Recovery run 4-6 miles

Wednesday: Track workout - 7-8 miles

Thursday: Recovery run - 6-8 miles

Friday: 4-8 miles

Saturday: Long run: 11 mile minimum

Sunday: Rest day - cycling

A "bit" of a schedule? WTF?

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Dare I ask about the joys of your job search?

Doug - who has worked for four companies in the last 18 months, and is looking to a fifth before year end....

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dare I ask about the joys of your job search?

Doug - who has worked for four companies in the last 18 months, and is looking to a fifth before year end....

Well, it came down to me versus a couple of other people this past weekend. I thought I did well with the board of directors - but silly them, they thought it better to hire someone who had handled an international association - since they are an international association. My relating all of the years I've subscribed to National Geographic Society got me bubkis.

I am now trying to get a job as the head of an association that would put me in the limelight. We'll see. In the meantime, I've been cleaning out the basement a bit - and doing some house projects.

Actually, I gave a talk to an industry group earlier this week that was enjoyable. I like getting in front of an audience. I imagine that they imagine me naked. It makes me giggle and hide behind the podium.

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
How long has it been since you have purchased a piano?

And what was your previous record?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long has it been since you have purchased a piano?

And what was your previous record?

I did 3 new Steinways in 9 years...all of them were exceptional pianos - but I don't think I'll be getting rid of the current one until I got into the assisted living home - may opt for a small Steingraeber then...

Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
Do you remember sending me CDs of a quartet that was recorded in your home?

I had just joined PWorld.. must have been early 2003. It was the first present i ever received from an online personality.. it was very special. I was enamored with pianoworld with that gift.

btw.. i would imagine the birdies hate the vacuum cleaner. I used to own finches and they would freak when i vacuumed near their cage... they are a bit messy.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Ken, i remember from an old thread that you subscribe to a lot of magazines. How many? Do you read them all?

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Assuming that Quirt and me and kathyk might be the exceptions--but in any case exceptional--given your last job, what is your impression of lawyers?

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Ken, i remember from an old thread that you subscribe to a lot of magazines. How many? Do you read them all?

jf

I've cut back...I'm sure I'll miss a few - but here goes... I've put a number next to the amount of "utils" they bring to me (higher number is better).

Time (3)
Newsweek (1)
Economist (4)
New York Review of Books (5)
New York Times Book Review (4)
Atlantic (4)
Vanity Fair (4)
GQ (2)
Wired (2)
National Geographic (2)
American Photographer (3)
Shutterbug (2)
International Piano (4)
Fanfare (3)
Gramophone (3)
Better Homes & Gardens (1)
Fine Gardening (3)
Mens Health (2)
Runners World (2)
New Yorker (3)
Sun (4)
Harpers (3)
Mens Journal (2)
Chicago Tribune (2)
Barrons (3)
Popular Science (2)
Chicago (1)
Fortune (2)
Esquire (2)

that and a few trade pieces...Obviously, i don't read cover to cover - usually. Some things get put aside for later. Newsweek will likely be dropped next go round. They've lost their way.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Assuming that Quirt and me and kathyk might be the exceptions--but in any case exceptional--given your last job, what is your impression of lawyers?

jf

Law school and the practice of law can warp people - but some folks don't lose their way. I have enjoyed working with lawyers. They're generally smart people who are good story tellers. Working in associations, I am typically working with people who have lofty ambitions for the practice of law. I enjoyed working with the diversity of people at the American Bar - but also with the people in public finance. The public finance people were really good at spotting the misplaced comma - and were excellent at reaching consensus. They were respectful of minority opinions and good at maintaining harmony so a nice group of people to work for.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
kluurs,
Thanks for the magazine list. I feel much better about the number of magazines I take now.
Big Grin

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Has there been a de facto choice to discontinue the WTFer of the Month? Nobody seems to have noticed.

Big Al

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
What is your record for most girl scout cookies eaten in a 24 hour period?

That's a good question - those trays go awfully quickly... The girls scout moms in our town drive green Cadillacs - similar to the Mary Kay folks.

Interestingly, I have almost the same schedule as you. If you take your workout schedule, and do a search and replace, with "snack" for "run" we could be the same person...

I run to eat Girl Scout cookies...

Best post-race snacks I've had so far at one race included homemade chocolate chip cookies, popcorn balls, pretzels, fruit, and boxes of Girl Scout Cookies.

My last race with a stein and a beer was nice, but nothing tops those cookies and popcorn balls.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Has there been a de facto choice to discontinue the WTFer of the Month? Nobody seems to have noticed.

Big Al

kluurs, it's your turn to choose.

Posts: 24730 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post