well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Choosing paint colors and flooring (w/ photos)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing paint colors and flooring (w/ photos)
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I agree with WTG - I think 3 competing wood-grains is too much woodgrain. I would go with something other than a wood look. You can still put an area rug over tile or the burlap-looking kind of flooring that WTG posted earlier. You can also get vinyl flooring that looks like smooth stone or concrete or pretty much anything you want....I'd probably look for something plain that looked kind of neutral and would just be there under the area rug and not competing with either wood floor. But if you are set on wood, I guess I would try to get as close to the kitchen/dining room pattern as you can and hope that it isn't too "off". It's never fun (or easy) working around other people's design choices, but I'm sure whatever you pick will come out great!

ETA - now that I'm thinking about flooring, I remember that we were *this close* to picking this for our bath floor when we remodeled. I found several photos on the internet of jobs that used this tile and it was beautiful in every photo (and it's a great value for natural stone). If you don't mind the coldness of stone, I think this could be a great compromise - it would look great next to both wood floors.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MS...ONBLK1224G/202919773

Posts: 4396 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am just wondering how much three wood grains will really compete.... When you're in the piano room, you can't see the kitchen/dining area at all. And although you can see the tv room, you don't see much because it's through a doorway. When you're in the tv room...well, ok, that's where you can potentially see the piano room flooring at the kitchen floor.

But, the way you see into the kitchen... I think if the tv room floor *mostly* matches the kitchen, it won't be super noticeable...

Re the stone, that's pretty but I don't think I want it in the tv room. I've been googling for pictures with search terms like "family room tile floor" and that kind of thing. So far I dislike everything I see -- it's too cold, looks hard, doesn't look like a family room/living room feel...

I do not understand what this "burlap looking" floor is. Is that the "interwoven" one? What is the material? Is it fabric-y, so a variation on carpet? Or is it vinyl/tile-esque?

off to google...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18393 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When you take up the carpet you are likely to find the same wood floor that is in the rest of the house. It might be in good enough shape that you could just wax it and use it that way, particularly if you were going to use a large area rug.

Even if it isn’t in good shape you can probably have it refinished for not much more than you will be spending on new flooring.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nope, it’s subfloor. Frowner

Posts: 18393 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The woods will definitely look different. Whether you like the look or not is a matter of taste!

I have a hard time imagining what something will look like unless I see it in the actual space it will be installed. I so envy people who can visualize all of this in their heads. That's why I've adopted the large sample approach.

The Interwoven is one of the lines from Raskin industries. They look like burlap/woven fabric but they are made of vinyl. Their LVTs are really thick and heavy and have a great wear layer. One nice thing is that if a tile gets damaged you can pop it out and replace it. They are also precision cut, so that when you put the tiles down they fit together tightly and seams are nearly invisible. That's not as important for tiles that have beveled edges. Cheaper tiles often have sloppier cuts and it shows up during installation. If you get the sample box, try to put them together and see how tightly they'll fit.

Luxury vinyls can mimic a lot of materials, including wood, stone, ceramic, and burlap-y fabric. Wink.

The Interwoven tiles are a large format (approx 20" x 40"); the wood-look tiles are wide planks (7" x 47"), like regular wood flooring. They also have ceramic-look which are 12" x 24". There's a stone look too; I didn't look up the size.

I get that you prefer the warm look of wood to the cold look of stone or tile (even if they're all made of vinyl). I'm the same way. We ended up going with a stone look to get a color to coordinate with our old carpeting, but when the carpeting went we changed the stone look vinyl tile and put in LVT wood planks.

Greys are popular now and it's harder to find flooring in the brown/beige family.

Your living room hardwood floors look original and were probably sanded and possibly filled. That means they don't have a beveled edge. Looks like your kitchen/dining floors have a square edge, too. If you pick a tile for the TV room that has a beveled edge, it'll stand out, especially if you try to make everything else match.

There are a lot of things to consider when you're trying to achieve a match. The ways that your new floor will potentially be different from your old floor: color, sheen, beveled vs unbeveled edge, wood species, wood grain, width, length, direction that it is installed, textured vs smooth surface.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37851 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of looking for used flooring? Craigslist
And here there is a place that has some, but of course more money than finding it.
Spring time is when people renovate. Try it!

I found some old pine to match what my house had. Once installed all I had to do was urethane it again. I wanted the old worn look!
Craigslist!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG - thanks fo all the comments! I hadn’t thought about the beloved, not beloved thing. I think we are going to try to match the tv room to the kitchen/dining room flooring. If that works, then we’ll just have two types of floooring, and it will be front of house-original hard wood, back of house new plank. So, again if that works, it should be ok. We’re headed to HD first thing tomorrow, so fingers crossed!!

LL, that would probably be the smart thing to do but I don’t have the energy to try to find the floooring, get it, have it installed etc. We want to get that room done, get all the painting done and move in.

Speaking of painting, the weather is crappy and although we painted some samples today it’s kind of hard to choose. But here are two pics:

For the bathroom I think we’re going to go with Creamy since it seems close to the white tile color.

For the piano room and tv room, from the left the colors are Eggwhite, Navajo White, and Creamy. I am totally torn between the three colors!!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Middle color on paneling

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The middle color is Navajo white, we like it a lot and it was Steve’s original recommendation! ThumbsUp

I feel like we won’t go wrong with that color.... the question is, is there a color we’d like more...

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I had Navajo White in my Brooklyn apartment hallway for a while. I tired of it eventually. I had Antique White in a different room and it is nice as well. Navajo tends towards green (at least I thought so at the time), Antique towards red. (Both were Benjamin Moore)

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10566 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So which white color tends toward wheat?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I found Benjamin Moore’s Navajo White to tend to yellow, but I’m not sure if the SW version is the same. Could get chips of both to see.

We have SW Dover White in the vacation home.

I think I may have posted this blog before. This lady talks about different white colors she has used. She talks abou Ben Moore’s Navajo white in another post on her blog.

https://julieblanner.com/favorite-cream-paint-colors/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37851 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link!

Hmmm, her pics remind me of others I’ve see. Online where the walls, the furniture, the Art, everything is super, super neutral and overwhelmingly white. We don’t decorate like that so it’s hard to compare.

We are never going to paint, we’re just going to walk around paint stores for all of eternity....

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
All of those off whites will change color based on what color the things are around them. Maybe not worth stressing over.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
My coworker likes white. She's also big into mid-century modern.

She's selling. Open house today in fact, Monclair, NJ:

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...07042/38688990_zpid/

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10566 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post