well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Choosing paint colors and flooring (w/ photos)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing paint colors and flooring (w/ photos)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That is one of the coldest looking houses I've ever seen.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34963 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There is only one door from the living room to the dining/tv area, much more touching the kitchen. I would match the kitchen vinyl. If it's vinyl plank you should be able to either match it pretty exactly or maybe replace the kitchen and other area with something new. Vinyl plank is inexpensive, easy to put down and very durable.

If you end up replacing it all then I would go with the color of the living room floor.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
And I agree with Steve on the paint. They are all just off whites. I don't think once it is up you'd notice much of a difference between them. Match it up against your furniture and see what you like.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mik and Steve, but there are folks who can see differences among all those different white colors.

My best friend bought a condo and was picking out paint colors. She had "chips" from the paint store. Each was much larger than the size of legal paper (it was some super-premium paint, the name of which I can't remember).

She had them all on the floor and proceeded to talk about each one, and then pointed to the one that she thought she was going to choose.

She asked me which one I liked best. My response? "You mean those are samples of five different colors?"

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I would definitely notice the difference between cool and warm whites. Big difference.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Bernard, thanks for posting that real estate listing, it's very instructive to see because I now know that I really dislike the tiled floors in living spaces!! The house is decorated quite well, but I do not like that tile! The more you know!

quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I would definitely notice the difference between cool and warm whites. Big difference.

Yes, this. I want a warm white with undertones of cream, or even a bit of yellow, as opposed to a cool white that has undertones of grey or blue. Based on the sample we painted, I do think Navajo White seems like it could do either of those, but some of the whites clearly are one or the other (cool or warm).

Also, one of the color samples we painted (Eggwhite) seems to have a definite pink undertone, while another (Navajo White) does not. I'm not fond of pink, so we're getting close to ruling that color out. So now we're trying to decide whether to do Navajo White or Creamy in the piano room and tv room.

We also went back to the paint store to get a darker sample (darker is relative here, it's still very light) that we're going to try in the bedrooms. Maybe closer to what Pique calls wheat.

I also found out I made a mistake in my price estimates for the flooring -- oops! I was almost ready to say "it's so cheap, let's re-do the flooring in the tv room, kitchen and dining room!" but no, I was looking at the wrong price. Oopsies! So now we're back to planning on just re-doing flooring in the tv room

We came home from HD with gazillion vinyl plank samples and we're going to see if one of those works to match to the existing flooring in the kitchen. We'll see how it goes!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18489 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You might want to do multiple coats for your sample areas. The existing color is coming through and changes the colors you are testing.

Also, bigger squares. I think 2' x 2' is typical. The old color also affects how the new colors look simply by being next to them. Making the squares larger helps.

BTW, meant to tell you for when you actually select a color... our painter tints the primer or uses one of the primer/paint combo products. Better coverage.

Can't wait to see your sample floors! If you have time to post photos, that is....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG -- thanks for the reminder to do more coats on the sample. We're getting close to picking a paint color, but I don't want to rush it or skip a step. And we're waiting for the sun to come back out, hopefully Monday! Frowner

quote:
Can't wait to see your sample floors!

Today we're going to look at the little square tiles and if we can narrow it down, we'll do what you suggested and buy a whole box and lay them out.

I was just reading a few different pages comparing laminate to vinyl plank. There are soooo many variables! I feel like I am more confused than when I started! suave

Posts: 18489 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
SK, did you see the color visualizer on SW's site?

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer#/active

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SK, did you see the color visualizer on SW's site?

Yes, that thing is going to be the death of me! ROTFLMAO

So, if you want to use your own photo, you can. But, if there's a lot of furniture, lots of art on the wall etc., you have to do a lot of editing and it's kind of a nightmare to get it give you a reasonable idea of what the finished product might look like.

If you use their photos, you will find that all the furniture is super neutral, lots of white sofas, and it looks fantastic no matter what color you choose. suave

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re painting: my cousin recommended we use Krud Kutter Gloss-off before painting, especially in the paneled room because that wall in particularly seems to have a shine.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about using a de-glosser before painting?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
You might want to do multiple coats for your sample areas. The existing color is coming through and changes the colors you are testing.

Also, bigger squares. I think 2' x 2' is typical. The old color also affects how the new colors look simply by being next to them. Making the squares larger helps.

BTW, meant to tell you for when you actually select a color... our painter tints the primer or uses one of the primer/paint combo products. Better coverage.

Can't wait to see your sample floors! If you have time to post photos, that is....

This. If you are going to prime first, have the primer tinted 25% if using a color, maybe more for an off white or light neutral.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We’ll definitely do the tinted primer thing, thanks!!

Ok here are the floor options (going on the assumption that we’re matching the tv room flooring to the kitchen and dining room)

Which one seems the closest?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I would say *not* 7, which appears to have a cross-hatched pattern in the wood that doesn't seem to be in the existing floor.

It is really hard to tell from photos. The existing floor color seems quite different from photo to photo. Not sure why.

That said, 1, 2, and 4 look like possibilities.

Are you planning to install it in the same direction or perpendicular to the existing flooring?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Something I thought of...As I recall HD usually has a few pieces of tile up on vertical displays over the shelves where the actual stock is stored.

The small samples can be deceiving (though I see you got multiples of the same, which is good). Your existing floor has significant variations in color and wood grain. A small piece might look like a good match, but several full boards might give an entirely different effect.

Maybe you could take photos of your existing floor on your iPad to get a larger area photographed. You can play around till you get photos that are an accurate representation of the floor you're trying to match.

Take the tablet to the store and hold it up next to the installed samples to see if any of your choices look obviously good or bad.

Just trying to find ways to help you narrow down your choices before you schlep a box of planks home.

Bazootiehead-in-training