well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And the pics of the bathrooms look like they are from some other house.

I wonder what happened.....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wonder what you were supposed to do with the space in front of the kitchen island.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34822 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The basement door is right there.

The more I look at it, the more awkward the layout seems. Something just isn't right.

But the turnpike in the backyard would be a deal breaker for me.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The basement door is right there.

The more I look at it, the more awkward the layout seems. Something just isn't right.

But the turnpike in the backyard would be a deal breaker for me.

It looks to be quite a ways back from the turnpike but I suspect its a problem. If that that’s not enough the back yard looks to be mostly rocks.

Posts: 34822 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve,
quote:
Rarely done well, but when it’s good it’s really good.

Agreed! Most of what I see (in real estate listings around here) isn't done well and just ends up looking drab.

WTG,
quote:
And the pics of the bathrooms look like they are from some other house.

ahahaha! I hadn't noticed that before!! Well, that gives you an idea of what the house looked like before Morticia's decorator got ahold of it! Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ve seen gray interiors that look terrific ( never in a faux tract Colonial, but still ...)

The trick is to use textures and interesting things to look at. Wall art, nubby things, subtle bits of color. Interesting shapes, things like that. Rarely done well, but when it’s good it’s really good.

That one bedroom with a splash of color in it made me sigh in relief.

You’d of course get rid of the instructions on the walls.

And if Morticia’s decorator was going to spend all that effort making everything black/white/gray, why not re-face the bathroom cabinets? Those really stand out!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ve seen gray interiors that look terrific ( never in a faux tract Colonial, but still ...)

The trick is to use textures and interesting things to look at. Wall art, nubby things, subtle bits of color. Interesting shapes, things like that. Rarely done well, but when it’s good it’s really good.

That's the whole idea, since it is, after all a house to be lived in and not a modernist gallery.

My kitchen is all black and white (not counting the mirrored backsplashes and brass fixtures, but I love getting bright knicknacks (teapots, rainbow colored anything). Just got a lovely little red teapot just because I wanted to see it on the black stovetop (even though I already have several others Red Face THIS is decluttering??)

Those and the kitchen sun-bay with potted plants and small herbs above the sink. (Installed a rack beneath grow-lights with the intention of precisely that - fresh herbs year-round! Only now giving them a try with a bit of trepidation considering how poorly the herbs did outside in the summer. Do NOT think Trader Joe's is quite as good a greenhouse as a grocery store.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I gotta play the nope card on this latest house. Disregarding all the strange decorating (I think most of it could be tweaked easily just by adding some color but the kitchen layout and island placement is just plain odd and that swirly tile they used everywhere would get overpowering fast, I think.)

But the biggest biggest nope is --

That turnpike is right, and I mean RIGHT, in the backyard. You can see the guardrail if you look at the 2nd exterior photo of the front of the house.

And even if I'm wrong and that's not the turnpike guardrail (and looking at the overhead satellite photo of the house that WTG posted, I'm 99.5% positive that it is) and there is a bit of space between that house and the highway, it will be so SO LOUD. We looked at a beautiful farmhouse that was about 1/4 mile off a highway and separated by a thick patch of woods. ALL you could hear inside the house was trucks and cars. We looked at another house that was up on a mountainside probably a good 3/4 of a mile above the highway and we still ruled that house out solely due to traffic noise (it was an awesome house in every respect except that you could not have a conversation in the yard without shouting over the highway noise). The sound of traffic on an expressway carries.

And if that is the guardrail, do you want to live in a house where there's even the remotest chance that a flying semi truck could end up on your patio?

Somehow, I think that one's going to be sitting on the market for a while.

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That turnpike is right, and I mean RIGHT, in the backyard. You can see the guardrail if you look at the 2nd exterior photo of the front of the house.

Yikes! Good catch Lisa!

Steve, what say you?

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We will drive by when we are there, but I think the location will kill it. The noise is concerning enough but the amount of pollution that comes off of a turnpike is worse.

Another one came up today. I’ll post it when I get home.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The noise is concerning enough but the amount of pollution that comes off a turnpike is worse.

Yep, both very concerning.

Looking forward to the new listing! Smiler

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I gotta play the nope card on this latest house. Disregarding all the strange decorating (I think most of it could be tweaked easily just by adding some color but the kitchen layout and island placement is just plain odd and that swirly tile they used everywhere would get overpowering fast, I think.)

But the biggest biggest nope is --

And even if I'm wrong and that's not the turnpike guardrail (and looking at the overhead satellite photo of the house that WTG posted, I'm 99.5% positive that it is) and there is a bit of space between that house and the highway, it will be so SO LOUD. We looked at a beautiful farmhouse that was about 1/4 mile off a highway and separated by a thick patch of woods. ALL you could hear inside the house was trucks and cars. We looked at another house that was up on a mountainside probably a good 3/4 of a mile above the highway and we still ruled that house out solely due to traffic noise (it was an awesome house in every respect except that you could not have a conversation in the yard without shouting over the highway noise). The sound of traffic on an expressway carries.

And if that is the guardrail, do you want to live in a house where there's even the remotest chance that a flying semi truck could end up on your patio?

Somehow, I think that one's going to be sitting on the market for a while.

As someone who’s had a pickup truck run into her house on a residential street, I AGREE!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This one is just for fun.

In 1978 we bought a house like this one in the same tract, same model but reversed, for $78K. We lived there 5 years, rented it out for another 15 years and then sold it. Had we known how much it would appreciate we would have kept it.

This one has been extensively (and expensively!) remodeled and looks much nicer than when we lived there. Even so, I'd say it's overpriced but there is a sale pending so I am obviously wrong. $1.2 mil for 1650 square feet is crazy high even for Orange County.

635 E. Palmdale

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This one just came up. Same neighborhood as the house on Brownhelm Station. Ticks most of the boxes, nice yard. Not real exciting but certainly a nice house. Some of the finishes would need to upgraded but the low price makes up for that.

3665 Elizabeth Drive Vermilion

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
635 E. Palmdale

Wow, they did a great job with the interior (I love the color block wall)

that house needs this piano:

or maybe this one: