well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We closed!!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We closed!!
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Future piano room!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks like they left it nice and clean - a real plus and the floors look great! Ceilings appear to be white, which is a look I like. ThumbsUp

It's remarkable how much the rooms look like the sample room I posted.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there are too many holes in the walls (some big enough to put your finger in!) otherwise we might not paint, because the colors are not bad.

And there are lots of spots where the trim isn’t in good shape, we’re thinking we will paint pretty much every room and re-do much of the trim throughout. Ah well, we kind of knew that would happen.

Today we bought a ladder and sparkling stuff.

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh and re the rooms that have the original flooring (piano room, hallway and all bedrooms), the floor is very nice!! Very, very pretty.

So, my mother said she thinks the floor is dark enough that it might not look great to have very like, close to white walls a/ different color white trim. I don’t know that I agree. Any opinions?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Thanks y’all! We are sooo happy, and relived!

But boy do we have a lot of work ahead!

So, um, how do you get rid of “wet dog” smell?
I swear it did not smell like that on any time when we went to see the house, but it has been raining a lot, and they did have have a dog...

The low level solution is something called Nature's Miracle, which I have found eliminates lots of pet smells (although it's mostly for pee/poop issues). Pique uses something similar but cheaper whose name I do not remember.

The nuclear solution ... painting will get rid of most non-cat-related smells.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quirt, thanks!

What about vinegar and baking soda wipe-downs? I was going to try thst first, l look for Nautre’s Miracle too!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Today we bought a ladder and sparkling stuff.

Ha! I have something that will really help you.

Premixed "Spackle" is very difficult to work with. It won't float out smoothly, it shrinks, and it never looks good. I hate the stuff.

What the pros use is "20 minute drywall compound". It comes as a powder so you can mix what you want and it also comes premixed if you don't like mixing and aren't going to store it for long. It goes on smooth and feather-edges easily. Dries in (duh!) 20 minutes. Easy to sand, if required. Home Depot sells it.

Also, it works best if you use a real drywall knife, not a putty knife. Drywall knives are flexible and you get a smoother coat. You can buy special pans for the compound but what works just as well is a loaf pan. You'll want a drywall knife an inch or two wider than you think you'll need for best results. Sand when dry with the black mesh sandpaper they sell for professional sanding poles. You don't need the pole - wrap it around a block of wood.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You need to find out where that smell is coming from before you do anything. Maybe they cleaned the carpet and it's not dry yet? See if any of it is wet.

Check the furnace filter and under all of the sinks. Look around toilets for signs of water. Look for leaks around windows/doors. Sniff around everywhere.

Once you find the source, your best bet will probably be Lysol aerosol spray. It kills mold and most smells.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you decide to replace the trim. There are tricks...

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, wow! Th aks for the tip! We bought DryDex (goes on pink, turns white when dry). But we have the receipt!
Gonna go google now!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re the trim, we need to get a good look at it all. Maybe just cleaned and painted will be enough, finger crossed!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If it has chunks taken out of it you can repair them with the drywall compound. If you need to create a new profile or an edge you can do that easily with Bondo. There is a bit of art involved but both sand easily enough that you can mess with it until you get it how you want it.

Whatever you do, stay away from Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty. Once it dries you can not sand it or do much of anything else to it.

Hard as concrete. I'm not sure why anyone uses it.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Nature's miracle is outrageously expensive and doesn't work as well as odor mute, which you can get on Amazon.

House is gorgeous! Congratulations! Personally i prefer wheat colored walls rather than white. I like the warmth.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
One more thing and I promise I'll stop. Cool

Get a roll of red rosin paper. It works much better than canvas tarps to protect your floors during painting and 1000X better than plastic tarps that tear and scoot all over the place.

It's cheap and tough enough you can move it from room to room if you want to.