well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I just finished two professional reads and am rereading Harry Potter. Tomorrow on the plane I intend to start either Children of Blood and Bone or The Boat People.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
So true about Canada, Dol. I was quoting from the NYTimes which omitted it.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
A few days ago I started a book that has been on my list..Hard to put it down.

Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

So tragic! Deleted comment in case it was a spoiler. Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

So tragic! Deleted comment in case it was a spoiler. Frowner

I watched an hour YouTube video of this author speaking about this book and showing slides.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Any reading I've done lately has been about zoning and land use. I've gone beyond, "What do I need to be effective on the citizen's planning committee", to "What's the philosophy behind zoning." My view of it all is now somewhat tempered. Why is zoning used as a tool when simple nuisance laws might work better? Some statements made at our meetings make me uncomfortable because they seem to want to erase poverty as a reality. "Well, OK, poverty exists, but we don't want it here because it doesn't bring in tax dollars." I hate all that. But I'm learning a lot.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of urban (and suburban) planning.

Authors to look for are Jane Jacobs and Richard Florida.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Dol-- I was rereading this thread and realized I meant to reply to your comments earlier regarding YA lit, but forgot. I'm a huge fan. I got interested in it when my kids were in the target age, mainly to encourage reading and conversation. I'd read a book they had liked and then we could talk about it. Many are great.

I read "Speak" this summer--apparently a YA classic (about rape). It was very well written, from the perspective of the young woman who was raped. The nuance of how the author wrote about the event, depression, and high school was really fantastic, and rang true.

So yeah, big thumbs up to YA! I'm going to check out the ones you mentioned.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Authors to look for are Jane Jacobs and Richard Florida.

ThumbsUp

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Now on to this:

I've never read but small bits from him. Seems like a hole I need to fill.

My gosh this was just an exceptional book. Part history, part sociology, part personal memoir. And the writing! Just amazing. I'm tempted to post samples. I'll be reading more of him.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is a collection of essays. I'm interested in reading those by Washington, Du Bois, and Dunbar. So it should be a relatively quick read.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Finished off the Millennium Trilogy, and really enjoyed it. Has anyone read the new Lisbeth Salander novels by David Lagercrantz? (He's continuing with Steig Larsson's characters since he (Steig) passed away.) I'm wondering if they hold up against the original trilogy.

Also finished Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere. Really enjoyed that, and I've put her other book (Everything I Never Told You) on my library hold list. I'm hold number 214 on 30 copies, so it's gonna be awhile before I get that one.

Then I took a quick dip into David Baldacci to read "The Fallen". It's a good no-brain-power-required thriller for those of you who partake.

Just started the 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. Seems good so far although I'm only a few chapters into it.

The Ben Aaronovitch has still not come available, so I'm waiting on that one as well.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I read W.E.B Du Bois' Souls of Black Folks many years ago, and remember enjoying it. Maybe I'll queue that up for a re-read as well.

I like this thread, let's keep it going! Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Dan - I really liked both of Celeste Ng's books. I hope you do, too!