well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I have a job interview on Wed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a job interview on Wed.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Great news! I hope it works out.

Re: the Atlantic article, I read it and found myself nodding to a lot of it. I'm in a fairly specialized niche and have been able to remain employed due to that. But I am also aware that this job is likely my last--not so much because I would retire but because no one will hire me, at my age, to do my job (even though I'm doing it now). My general job field has a shiny new label ("data science"), which means that there are new grads with degrees in it, and no chance that an old geezette like me could have possibly kept up with this "new" field. (News flash: yes, I do keep up, and the field isn't new). Anyway, it is kind of depressing, but I don't wish I were dead. Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I was very, very lucky to get the job I have. Most similar jobs are filled with younger people by English departments hoping to hire the next hot thing. I was lucky enough to be looking for a job in the year that a department who was open to what I had to offer had an opening. I'll be up for tenure in two years and I'm well-positioned for that but it's never a slam-dunk. I'm pretty sure that this is the last job I'll ever have, so I'll work until I'm 70 or so if I get it, but I'll retire at 60 if I don't.

I can keep writing books indefinitely, although the circumstances of that could shift. My publisher sold itself to a bigger publisher, which then sold 45% of itself to the biggest publisher there is. This could mean a sharp increase in sales. It could also mean that my contract gets cut. Who knows?

I could keep writing even without a publisher, but the self-pub business is hard and I could end up spending a year on a book nobody ever reads. This does not sound appealing at this stage of my life.

Fortunately, I don't have that my-life-is-over feeling about retiring. Quirt and I have things to do and places to go. As long as I'm reasonably healthy, I expect to be reasonably happy.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Beelady, did they say when you could expect to hear?

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have been asked to come back for a second round with the entire team. They are working out a time that is best for all. hide

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!! Super positive development!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yer in!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!!!!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Sounds very promising. Sending good vibes!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
I have been asked to come back for a second round with the entire team. They are working out a time that is best for all. hide

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow, 1pm.

I am so nervous! I do not want to take anything for granted...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any advice for you. I totally get your feeling nervous though!

I guess my only advice would be, don’t bother with trying not to be nervous. You’re gonna be nervous, and that’s ok. You’re nervous because you care, and because you’re human. Those are both very good things.

Other than that, if it helps you, think back over some talking points, practicing saying them out loud, that sort of thing.

We are all pulling for you!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Break a leg! You'll do great.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Thanks all..

Timely, probably why I am so nervous...

We had an especially painful layoff today at work.. Frowner

MillCityGrows.org