well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Spring in Chicago
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring in Chicago
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
WTF

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Still going strong.

Really wet heavy stuff, not fun to drive in and the evergreens are flattened to the ground.

quote:
APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain snow .

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Yuck.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good grief.

quote:
A storm headed for Chicago this weekend could dump several inches of heavy, wet snow in northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border Saturday afternoon and night, according to the National Weather Service.

Strong winds from the north could reduce visibility and cause power outages in some areas, the weather service said in an advisory. There also would be flooding along Lake Michigan. “Large waves will elevate already high lake levels,” the weather service said.

The storm will start as rain Saturday afternoon but is expected to change to snow in the far north and northwest suburbs. Some slushy accumulation — a half-inch or less — is possible as temperatures fall from the 40s in the morning to the low to middle 30s by Saturday evening.

Forecasters said they still were tracking the exact path of the storm, and it’s possible it would take a more southerly approach and much of the Chicago area could get snow.

By Sunday, skies will be sunny and the highs will be near 50.

The WGN-TV weather desk said it is rare for the Chicago area to see snow this late in the season. Normal high temperatures for late April are in the middle 60s.

Looks like the storm is pretty unpredictable; I've seen forecasts for anywhere from 1.5 inches at O'Hare up to four or five....

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190426-story.html

Hey markj! Time for another snowball fight!! ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Good grief!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
No. Just stahhhhhp already!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
So far, nothing but rain here, with some immediately melting wet snow mixed in. In other words, we have no accumulated snow, and based on the radar, aren't likely to get any. As for the temperatures, it may dip slightly below freezing tonight. But, that's certainly not uncommon for April, even the end of it. Our statistical average last freeze here is the first week of May.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Things here looked pretty much as Matt described. Until a little while ago.

What a difference a few miles and a couple of hours make.

I think it might keep snowing till about 10 tonight, so we could get a goodly accumulation. The robins are totally confused.

Blech.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Still snowing. Hope it doesn't go on for much longer, as the deciduous trees are getting weighted down by the snow. Two weeks ago when it snowed, they weren't leafed out yet. Now they are, giving a greater surface area for the snow to stick on.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Rain. Rain. And more rain. Not much gardening going on here right now. But spring has its good points...

I just went out to the backyard and I caught a whiff of the loveliest scent imaginable.

The Judd viburnum is in bloom. Heavenly.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Love the Viburnum! My Carlesii is in bud. Sick of rainy drizzly days. 21 rain days in April and so far May continues the same...

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
No, not more snow. But it kinda looks like it, doesn't it?

On top of a light fixture on my neighbor's house. I keep getting dive bombed by Mom and Dad whenever I go over to the side of my garage.

Anemones, one of my faves. They naturalize beautifully.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Pretty! Nice Hosta too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The hosta is June, one of my favorites. Slugs leave it alone and it's pretty adaptable as far as light is concerned.

Bazootiehead-in-training