well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So Steve….
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Steve….
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’re in. Boxes everywhere! There is a remarkable amount of stuff in the basement but I bought 10 shelving units yesterday and they swallowed most of it up.

Tomorrow I’ll set up the internet and WiFi so I can post pictures. I’ll do that after I go get the cool mission style desk I found on
Craigslist. 1 hour away but if if it’s half as nice as the picture it will be worth it.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
If you aren’t used to driving in the snow, get some practise. The first small snow go to a street without traffic (a dead end industrial park street is ideal) and practise. It’s not hard but there are some things, especially braking and accelerating that take some getting used to.

Snow tires are a thing that many people get. I don’t, but they are very common. Most places that do them also offer storage of the off season tires.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re in.

Yay!! I'm sure it's a relief!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve actually driven in snow before - up in the mountains. Momentum is key and 4wd doesn’t hurt. Car and truck both have all- weather rated tires which are supposed to be all we need.

Snow forecast for next week and I’m rather looking forward to it. Bring it on! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Riding high on that first wave of unpacking; make the most of the momentum!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Why am I thinking we should have warned you about these horrors of winter *before* you moved? Ole

Seriously, cozy nights by the fire and days of xc skiing can compensate for the worst of it.

Welcome home and congratulations!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Glad things are going smoothly.

Welcome to Ohio!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We'll wave as we drive by tomorrow - heading to stay with friends that recently moved to Alexandria.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What was the verdict on the desk?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
What was the verdict on the desk?

I went down to Strasburg (70 miles) and picked it up yesterday. It’s not perfect but it’s still really nice. I forgot to bring rope so I popped in to the Amish thrift store next door and bought a string of Christmas lights for $2 and tied it down with those. Festive!

The drive down home went through a few towns but it was mostly forest and farmland. On the way back, on a particularly desolate stretch the truck started flashing all sorts of warning lights and the radio shut off. “Service charging system now”. The belt started squealing like hell and the dash lights shut off completely. Headlights started getting dimmer snd dimmer…

Siri found a Ford dealer about 15 miles away and I decided to try and limp it there. It was 15 miles of dark, one lane roads and in didn’t see another soul until I hit Orrville. Luckily the alternator started working again and the dash lights came back on after a few miles.

Orrville has some 8500 people and a very nice, modern Ford dealer. It’s also where J. M. Smucker is headquartered (jam and such). I dropped the truck there and they’ll have it fixed by tomorrow. They’ll even honor my extended warranty. Nice!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The house is coming together. I got my new battery backup sump pump installed today and found someone to cut the grass. Everything is still in disarray but we did sleep here last night.

Once we find the silverware we can eat here too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How's Sam doing?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So you left the truck at a dealer overnight with a desk tied down with a string of Christmas lights?

Cool!

Was the desk in the bed or in the trailer?

Just think… the alternator could have died anywhere between California and Ohio. Could have been a lot more of a nuisance.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
The house is coming together. I got my new battery backup sump pump installed today and found someone to cut the grass. Everything is still in disarray but we did sleep here last night.

Once we find the silverware we can eat here too.

Ahem.
http://well-temperedforum.grou...733954697#6733954697

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post