well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So Steve….
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Steve….
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I don’t want to be “that California guy” but I have never seen more sh!tty contractors in my life, or regular folks for that matter.

Nobody returns calls, nobody shows up. I offer free boxes, people say they’ll come get them and never show. Contractors beg for work on Facebook and don’t return calls. People advertise things on Craigslist and then never respond. The guys at Spectrum act like no one has ever tried to return a router before. It’s maddening.

Is this the “slower pace of life” I was promised? Or is that an excuse for general laziness or perhaps drunkenness? I’ve never seen anything like it.

These people would starve to death in California or move to Texas and whine piteously about Gavin Newsom.

I’m beginning to understand the appeal of TFG.

I do not recommend contractor recommendations on FB. I've tried it a few times with godawful results. My tried and true is Angi and BBB. I've gotten exceptionally good people using that combination. you find them on Angi, read the reviews there, then go to BBB to see what the complaint/review picture is there.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This house. The little tree is a "weeping cherry" and isn't supposed to get much bigger. I'm not sure what the single stalk plant was but it looked like a weed and I dug it out.

We didn't know this utility island was in the front yard when we bought it. I'll put more plants around it in the Spring.

Move in day:

First snow. It didn't amount to much.

[/url]

98% unpacked. This is the second garage full of boxes. George picked up the first bunch last Friday. He picked these up yesterday. I have to take the bags to the dump today.

This is us trying to figure out what color to paint the island. That little blue chip is what we ended up with.

Storage solution for the pantry:

And a "Spicy Shelf" for the spices. I still have to add one more tier.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here's the desk coming home - or at least partway home. The Christmas lights are to keep the cover from flipping around.

And here is my new little office area. I've ordered a file cabinet to fit in the closet so the printer won't have to sit on a box.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Is that the desk you picked up last week? Looks perfect....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Is that the desk you picked up last week? Looks perfect....

Yes it is. It fits just right! ThumbsUp

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love the desk! It looks like a sibling to my stereo shelves.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Wow...Welcome home!!!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
63 degrees today. We’re having a heat wave!

A perfect day to set up the garage!

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That desk is lovely.

Here, I would plant some Tuscan blue rosemary and knee-high juniper to hide the utility thingies. I don’t know how they would do in your new climate.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
63 degrees today. We’re having a heat wave!

A perfect day to set up the garage!

Same here, though it's getting drippy. We just finished cleaning up today's batch of leaves. Temps are supposed to plummet after lunch. 40 mph winds tomorrow.

Have fun in the garage!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two rooms done. This is a guest room. Sharon calls the "tropical room" but to me it looks like a guest suite you might find in the British West Indies for guests of the Empire. I've ordered a framed photo of Queen Victoria to set on the night stand. Palm frond ceiling fan is on order. Sharon took the dog pictures that are hanging over the bed.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I need to hire you guys; everything looks great! And you're pulling it together so fast.

We have that bedspread in a different color palette!

You guys seem to be settling in pretty fast. Who's hosting Thanksgiving? Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Principal bedroom (you can't call it a master bedroom any more) is done for now. Furniture is from Craigslist because the other deal fell through. Chairs aren't going to stay but they fill the space for now (we had them at the old house.) We're looking for something to use as nightstands - the box is not permanent.

Fireplace wall. Deck chair is also not permanent although I kind of like the concept and it has its own table. Drapes (side panels) are forthcoming - they are stuck in the supply chain snafu.

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I find it pretty embarrassing when actual adults show pictures of the interior their house.

I would have to spend a lot of money and effort to upgrade the interior design of my home to bring it up to the standard of the average college dorm room…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The house looks great! Love the colors you picked. Love that back patio!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post