well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So Steve….
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Steve….
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Every time we've replaced our carpeting we've thought about just refinishing the hardwood floors that are under the carpet throughout the house. We tear up the old wall-to-wall and within a week decide to put new carpet in. I love the look, but as you say, it's hard and cold and noisy. And I know it's worse in a room with tall ceilings.

There are things you can do to help with the noise.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/...t-wall-13768647.html

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/...l-ceiling-27539.html

You need to find a big quilt that you love and hang it on the wall....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't let the looks-like-it's-frozen pond tempt you. Or Sam.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the wooden floors, but I've also found it varies greatly based on the floor finish (glossy/shiny, booo v matte, better) and color (dark - shows everything, lighter is better, the "mottled" stuff is best.

Our condo has a greyish toned matte floor with big planks (guessing 4 x 36, maybe longer). The color varies, and it's not stained. I've found that floor accepts a lot of stuff before it looks dirty, whereas a shiny, dark wood shows everything instantly, including dust.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I prefer hardwood... with area oriental or other rugs around. No animals, just the two of us here!

We do vacuum a lot (Dyson stick rechargeable)- I'd probably get a Roomba, but I don't think they handle fringe on oriental carpets very well...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Those of you noticing that hardwood floors show a lot of dirt, do you wear outdoor shoes inside?

Our floors are on the dark side -- in that they are the traditional brown wood color? We sweep/vacuum weekly, not more, and I really don't notice that it's dirty quickly. Could it be because we never wear outdoor shoes inside?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that the SK household doesn't see the amount of traffic that a house with a dog does.

You'd be surprised how much dirt comes in because of frequent trips in and out with a dog, even in a shoeless house with throw rugs at every door. We wiped wet paws but not dry ones; it gets old wiping four paws every time the dog comes in.

We were dogless for about six months after having had dogs for 40 years and I was amazed at how much cleaner things stayed. Now that we have Raffi I'm running a dust mop through the kitchen and front hall to pick up the bits every day or two. He really doesn't shed much, so there's little hair. Just a bit of dirt or a stray leaf that stuck to his fur on his legs, tummy, or tail and that dropped off later.

But they're so worth it.... Wink

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it must be a dog issue, Our house had wall-to-wall carpet nearly everywhere when we bought it. After investigating what lay beneath, we pulled almost all of it up, except for one bedroom where moving the furniture (including a waterbed) just seemed like too much effort, and exposed the oak flooring beneath. The lower level had shag over the vinyl tile and the tile have been exposed for a long time, although I've considered carpet tile because it's below grade. The bathrooms are all ceramic tile and I replaced the vinyl flooring in the kitchen with ceramic tile. In the living/dining room area, I'm very happy with large area rugs.

The existing floors could definitely benefit from sanding/refinishing in high traffic areas, but otherwise, I'm happy not to have nearly so much carpet. YMMV.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think the dust issue also depends on your climate and how well your house is built. In Arizona we had the double whammy: lots of dust and houses that weren't built super well. The result was a lot of light dust. I dusted out of necessity every week, sometimes more. You could write your name in the dust build up in a week's time.

We also kept our windows open (all had screens) whenever possible, so that undoubtedly contributed.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing that the SK household doesn't see the amount of traffic that a house with a dog does.

Definitely. The dog part was the first thing I mentioned, several posts up.

I was just surprised to see so many people chime in about hardwood floors, hence my second post on the subject.

But yeah, humans can remove their shoes as much as they want. If a pupper is outside and inside shoeless, it's going to have the same impact as if the humans didn't remove their shoes.

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a pupper is outside and inside shoeless

The other option, of course, is to give puppers shoes and have them remove said shoes inside...

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Of course... The dust and mess you might notice more on hardwood still comes in when you have carpeting. It just settles down in the fibers so you don't notice it as much!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Hot and cold are reversed at the kitchen faucet. We’re the third owners in four years and no one ever fixed it. Strange.
There's a joke about that... the punchline is:

Homeowner: Cripes that's hot... holy cow, that's cold!
Plumber: Yup, sounds right.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:

The pond froze over last night but by noon the ice had melted.

Two things:

- Drain your garden hoses. Maybe even keep them in the garage unless you are actively using them.

- Install faucet boobies.

quote:
The local grocery store has probably 20 feet of aisle given over to nothing but flat egg noodles. They must be popular. Paprikash? Kugel? Or lots of soup?
"Hot dish". They probably stock a lot of cream of mushroom soup and tuna, too. Part of that "stick to yer ribs" diet you noted previously.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Opted for laminate flooring in the living/dining/kitchen of my townhome. Thought the dogs might ruin hardwood finish and laminate could simply be replaced. Got extra. Have not needed to replace any.
Got a satin finish with a subtle pattern. Does not show scratches from the the dog claws or much else.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:

The pond froze over last night but by noon the ice had melted.

Two things:

- Drain your garden hoses. Maybe even keep them in the garage unless you are actively using them.

- Install faucet boobies.

quote:
The local grocery store has probably 20 feet of aisle given over to nothing but flat egg noodles. They must be popular. Paprikash? Kugel? Or lots of soup?
"Hot dish". They probably stock a lot of cream of mushroom soup and tuna, too. Part of that "stick to yer ribs" diet you noted previously.

I’ve already brought in my hoses. No reason for them - everything has gone dormant and we’ve had both rain and snow. Nothing serious yet - it’s actually been pretty nice.

The plumber showed me valves in the basement to close and to open up the hose bibs outside.

I’m intrigued by the idea of Kugel. It doesn’t violate the rules of Coleman family dining and it doesn’t sound all that heavy. Any recipe suggestions for a savory version?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post