well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not sure about these boosters
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure about these boosters
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
Think of the poor folks who have to take HIV meds EVERY DAY, and now they announced a once-a-month pill. Like that's progress.

Would be nice to get this COVID thing behind us so I hope the walter reed thing pans out.

--------------------------------
Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I had terrible itching on the skin of my injected arm with the 3rd Pfizer. Swollen and rock hard as well. For a full week.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
Think of the poor folks who have to take HIV meds EVERY DAY, and now they announced a once-a-month pill. Like that's progress.

For the kids (now adults) I know who all take the one a day this is amazing news...Many never might have lived this long. HIV med advances are amazing now.

The new COVID pill is, from what I understand, drivided from the antiretrovial treatments, protease inhibitors, that medical labs have been working on for decades.

I think we can thank the HIV research for the latest COVID pill, just sayin. It comes from the same "DNA".

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
It comes from the same "DNA".

Ah, but what about mRNA? Wink

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
It comes from the same "DNA".

Ah, but what about mRNA? Wink

Smiler I sat through an Xmas dinner where a family member about to sit for their medical boards agreed that the COVID pill was just "Ivermectin tweeked" hide

I am hoping it was just the booze.. Blink

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Not peer reviewed yet, but good news about boosters helping us to recognize the spike protein on Omicron.

From Eric Topol of Medscape

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Covid should be treated as an endemic virus similar to flu, and ministers should end mass-vaccination after the booster campaign, the former chairman of the UK’s vaccine taskforce has said.

With health chiefs and senior Tories also lobbying for a post-pandemic plan for a straining NHS, Dr Clive Dix called for a major rethink of the UK’s Covid strategy, in effect reversing the approach of the past two years and returning to a “new normality”.

“We need to analyse whether we use the current booster campaign to ensure the vulnerable are protected, if this is seen to be necessary,” he said. “Mass population-based vaccination in the UK should now end.”

He said ministers should urgently back research into Covid immunity beyond antibodies to include B-cells and T-cells (white blood cells). This could help create vaccines for vulnerable people specific to Covid variants, he said, adding: “We now need to manage disease, not virus spread. So stopping progression to severe disease in vulnerable groups is the future objective.”

quote:
Dix’s remarks on ending mass-vaccination come as the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) ruled that fourth doses were not currently needed because most older people who had received boosters were still well-protected against Omicron, three months after the booster campaign began. The UK Health Security Agency said protection for over-65s was about 90%, three months after a booster jab. The JCVI’s deputy chair, Professor Anthony Harnden, said the committee was monitoring the impact of Omicron on older and vulnerable people on a weekly basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...of-vaccine-taskforce

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sat through an Xmas dinner where a family member about to sit for their medical boards agreed that the COVID pill was just "Ivermectin tweeked"

Ah, there are some advantages of being an only child ... Big Grin

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The problem with just treating Covid as akin to the flu is that we do not have good enough treatments yet. Doing it now would get a lot of people infected and killed.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Smiler I sat through an Xmas dinner where a family member about to sit for their medical boards agreed that the COVID pill was just "Ivermectin tweeked" hide

No sh!t?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The latest from the contact tracer trenches:
I'm talking to increasing numbers of positive cases who got 3 jabs and wore masks. Some have been sick enough to go to the emergency room.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pfizer CEO on the state of boosters.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/1...ugh-for-omicron.html

And an omicron-specific booster:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/1...-ready-in-march.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly a month after Sheba Medical Center launched a landmark study to test the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the hospital said Monday that this fourth booster was only partially effective in protecting against the Omicron strain.

“The vaccine, which was very effective against the previous strains, is less effective against the Omicron strain,” Prof. Gili Regev-Yochay, a lead researcher in the experiment said.

“We see an increase in antibodies, higher than after the third dose,” Regev-Yochay said. “However, we see many infected with Omicron who received the fourth dose. Granted, a bit less than in the control group, but still a lot of infections,” she added.

“The bottom line is that the vaccine is excellent against the Alpha and Delta [variants], for Omicron it’s not good enough,” she said.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/...ugh-against-omicron/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What does that mean for us triple-vaxxed peeps? What vaccine is being used in Israel? (I skimmed the article, maybe I missed it?)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
What does that mean for us triple-vaxxed peeps? What vaccine is being used in Israel? (I skimmed the article, maybe I missed it?)

It means you aren't protected from Omicron. Wear N95 masks with a tight seal and avoid being in close proximity to others indoors.