well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another speculative discussion about the origins of Covid
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another speculative discussion about the origins of Covid
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
Interview with a scientist associated with "The Lancet."

https://www.currentaffairs.org...zHDWDp4TDFg5L2WMlSkY

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting article.

This is important:

quote:
What I’m calling for is not the conclusion. I’m calling for the investigation. Finally, after two and a half years of this, it’s time to fess up that it might have come out of a lab and here’s the data that we need to know to find out whether it did.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Yup. That was the part that stood out most for me as well.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry.

I know this is an article about a very important scientific speculation and all (It's being very long, I confess I couldn't get more than half way through).

However, having happened upon this early part of their thinking (which I don't have a clue about understanding in actual fact), I can't unthink it. [Bolding mine]

quote:
And the particular virus that causes COVID-19, called SARS-Cov-2, is notable because it has a piece of its genetic makeup that makes the virus more dangerous. And that piece of the genome is called the “furin cleavage site.”

Somehow in connection to the recent death of screen goddess Raquel Welch, I found myself not only reading about her, but other contemporaneous voluptuous goddesses (at least two of whom are still living; AKA Brigitte Bardot and Sophia Loren).

One difference between them and Raquel, is their impressive cleavages were Furrin. (American Welch's possibly greatest cleavage OTOH was native grown).

Hence, my reading of furin cleavage site. Red Face

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
:groan:

And the article isn't *that* long.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I found it to be very much worth my time. ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"Well, the funny thing is those scientists who are saying that said the same thing on February 4, 2020, before they had done any research at all. And they published the same statement in March 2020, before they had any facts at all. So they’re creating a narrative. And they’re denying the alternative hypothesis without looking closely at it. That’s the basic point."

"We know that at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the scientists there had been trained by American scientists to use advanced bioengineering methodologies. And in particular, we have scientists in North Carolina, Texas, and so forth who do this kind of research, believe in it, argue for it, and say that they don’t want any regulations on it and so on. And they were in close contact with Wuhan Institute of Virology, and they were part of a joint research group that was stitched together by something called EcoHealth Alliance. And EcoHealth Alliance was the kind of marriage maker between the American scientists and the Chinese scientists. That was the vehicle for funding from the U.S. government, especially from the National Institutes of Health, and especially from Tony Fauci’s unit, the NIAID. There were years of grants, there were grant proposals. We don’t know exactly what was done. But we have enough reason to know that we should be asking exactly what was done. And we know definitively that from the beginning, NIH has been running from telling us what has been done. They’re not telling us the truth, that they had reason to fear from the start that this came out of a lab. And that to this day, they have reason to suspect it, but they’re not talking."

"The most interesting things that I got as chair of the Lancet commission came from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits and whistleblower leaks from inside the U.S. government. Isn’t that terrible? NIH was actually asked at one point: give us your research program on SARS-like viruses. And you know what they did? They released the cover page and redacted 290 pages. They gave us a cover page and 290 blank pages! That’s NIH, for heaven’s sake. That’s not some corporation. That is the U.S. government charged with keeping us healthy."

(Question:
"A shocking thing to me was that the head of the EcoHealth Alliance was on the World Health Organization team that actually investigated the origins of COVID and concluded that it wasn’t the lab.")

"Well, more than that: I appointed him—this was Peter Daszak—I appointed him to chair the task force of the pandemic commission that I was running for the Lancet. And he headed a task force on the origins. I thought, naively at the beginning, “Well, here’s a guy who is so connected, he would know.” And then I realized he was not telling me the truth. And it took me some months, but the more I saw it, the more I resented it.

And so I told him, “Look, you have to leave.” And then the other scientists in that task force attacked me for being anti-scientific. And I asked them: “What are your connections with all of this?” They didn’t tell me. Then when the Freedom of Information Act released some of these documents that NIH had been hiding from the public, I saw that people that were attacking me were also part of this thing. So I disbanded that whole task force. So my own experience was to witness close up how they’re not talking. And they’re trying to keep our eyes on something else. And away from even asking the questions that we’re talking about."

"There are at least two reasons why they might be doing what they’re doing. One is, as you say, the implications are huge. Imagine if this came out of a lab. And we have, by some estimates, about 18 million dead worldwide from this. That’s not the official count. But that’s the estimated excess mortality from COVID. Well, the implications of that—the ethical, the moral, the geopolitical—everything is enormous.

But there’s a second matter that is really important, too. One thing that is rather clear to me is that there is so much dangerous research underway right now under the umbrella of biodefense or other things that we don’t know about, that is not being properly controlled. This is for sure. And that’s happening around the world. And governments say “don’t poke your nose into that.” That’s our business, not your business. But it’s actually our business. It’s our business to understand what is going on with this. This is not to be kept secret. We don’t trust you."

This is an excellent interview.

I think everyone should read it.

Thanks, piqué.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think everyone should read it

Agree. Maybe I should have made the thread title sexier.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
THere's a great book by Matt Ridley which does a good job laying out the evidence on both sides.

I think it was unfortunate that scientists with great personal interest at stake were allowed to stigmatize even the discussion of the topic, and that was met uncritically by the press. Worse really, the press acted as enforcer in many cases.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

Agree. Maybe I should have made the thread title sexier.

I think Amanda can fix that for you. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

i dunno who wrote that. but i really like it. that's also what journalism is *supposed* to be, btw.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
@pique - it was Derek Thompson in The Atlantic.

It’s an interesting line, for sure. But it never even had much of a chance to be relevant here. From very early days powerful interests were able to stigmatize the question itself, such that most scientific and media institutions avoided it in the first place.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's absurd, of course it is relevant here. The key point is the very first sentence: "Do not trust people who, in their handling of complex questions with imperfect data, manufacture simplistic answers with perfect confidence." And then: "Trust people who change their mind when the evidence changes."

You develop an opinion on the probable origin of the virus based on the information that you have. You obtain new and additional information, that affects the probabilities, you revise your opinion to take the new information into account. "If you want to stay right in this space, you have to be curious enough to potentially prove yourself wrong."

It's the basic issue of keeping an open mind versus having a fixed and unchangeable view of the facts, regardless of later-developed evidence. And that's just as true in investigative journalism as it is in science.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I guess I was focusing on the talk about finding the study, etc. The early stigmatization of the question largely kept institutions away from studying it in the first place.