well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Throwaway Email Address

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throwaway Email Address
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I need a throwaway email address for the increasing number of sites that require one and then spam me with 10 emails a day. (I’m talking about YOU, Opendoor.com). I used to be able to just send them to spam but that no longer works everywhere.

What’s a good choice? Hotmail is now Outlook and part of Microsoft. Gmail is Google and they have been pretty evil lately. Maybe AOL?

Suggestions?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I use a yahoo email account for those sorts of places where I need to give them a real email address, but I don’t want to read any of their emails. Even in that, I keep the volume pretty well-controlled through a combination of unsubscribing and labeling as spam.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Hotmail is now Outlook and part of Microsoft. Gmail is Google and they have been pretty evil lately. Maybe AOL?
AOL is part of Verizon.

What’s your consternation with sending your junk mail in the general direction of evil?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There’s no free lunch. Just pick one. It won’t make any difference. I do find AOL spam filter to be quite effective. Not 100%, but good.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
With my AOL account, I am allowed, I think, 5 different email addresses. One is my basic email, one is for family, and one I give to those sites that want to send me junk mail.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of hotmail addresses forever. One is for junk and the other is not. About twice a month I scroll through the junk one just to make sure nothing is from an old friend that might have that address in their records.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have a Yahoo email for junk as well. I don't know it's status, since I never go in there. Everything about it is fake. Fake name, fake phone number, you name it.

As Elaine would say, "Fake, fake, fake." Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I still have my gmail in my married name. I notified everyone and changed everything and kept that one for junk.

I poke my head in every now and then, but so far, it has been pretty good.

And if I get a call or something asking for "Mrs. P" I immediately know it is not likely legit. Ninja

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
If it's a throwaway, who cares? I have made dozens of throwaways on Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo. Since you're never going to check them, go with whoever you want to inconvenience most.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post