well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sciatic Nerve (again)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sciatic Nerve (again)
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i've dealt with this off and on for years. it can be hard to find a solution. and it might be easier to resolve than you imagine. remember that surgeons always recommend surgery. i would find a highly recommended physiatrist or sport medicine doctor if you want to work with an MD.

however, if you have had good results with chiropractic in the past, that would be my first move, before engaging with doctors who will run lots of expensive tests that will likely be inconclusive. it is extremely important that the chiropractor knows what the hell he is doing. finding a *good* chiropractor is not always easy.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
This sounds like living hell, Mark! So very sorry.

One thing I have always thanked my lucky stars for, was that after my major spinal surgery despite the numerous bad side effects I had, I never had sciatica.

Although the surgeon DID mostly correct the deformity that had developed, he left me with a number of disabling conditions. From what I heard from other "spinies", though, sciatica was one of THE worst pain-wise and is not uncommon with or without spinal surgery.

Very much hoping you can sort it out without surgery, but if needed, surgery can be a blessing (as Lisa said). I also second what pique said about chiropractors. There is a WIDE range of quality, effectiveness (and safety!) between them. Some are miracle-workers and others are outright quacks. (What MUST their schools be like??)

There's nothing quite like severe pain. When you have it, it becomes your whole world such that you can't even remember the world as it was without it. May it be a scarcely recalled nightmare soon!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Doc did x-rays and prescribed a muscle relaxer cyclobenzaprine and an anti-inflammatory, Meloxicam.

Once a day on the Meloxicam and 2x daily for the cylclobenzaprine.

Took my first dose at 12:45 and then went to bed and I was actually able to get a couple hours of restless sleep
Better than no sleep.

First PT session is scheduled for January 4th. With the holidays, I was told I was lucky to get one that fast. They also put me on a cancelation list.

Using a walker for the first time in my life.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Doctor followed up and said I have now more arthritis since my last xray in 2018. X-rays show mild to moderate degenerative disc disease.

Getting old is freaking painful.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doc did x-rays and prescribed a muscle relaxer cyclobenzaprine and an anti-inflammatory, Meloxicam.

Ah, Flexeril. Makes me sleepy. There are a bunch of muscle relaxants that can work, and you need to find the one that works best for you. Alternatives include Skelaxin (Metaxalone), Soma (Carisaprodol), Ativan (Lorezepam), and good old Valium (Diazepam).

Metaxalone doesn't put people to sleep.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Glad you got seen and that you got some medicines!

I hope you sleep ok and feel better tomorrow!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using a walker for the first time in my life.

Frowner so sorry to hear. i hope you find a solution quickly. Frowner

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I use cyclobenzabrine when my muscle spasms get out of control (as in shrieking pain). Sometimes it is the only thing that works. It does give me a hangover, though.

One thing to bear in mind is that cyclobenzaprine isn't a muscle relaxer *per se*. It is a *sedative* and should be respected as such. Please read the full disclosures on dangers and side effects that come with the prescription, if you haven't already.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Once asked a doc if a muscle relaxer would help a muscle problem.
He said, "Do you drink?" I did at the time
"Have a drink."

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Doctor followed up and said I have now more arthritis since my last xray in 2018. X-rays show mild to moderate degenerative disc disease.

Getting old is freaking painful.

Oh man. I’m sorry. Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry you have to endure this, Mark. Glad you are getting some relief!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
How are you doing today, Mark?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to add, but my sympathy. I’ve never had sciatica, but enough other things that debilitate.

For 15 years now I have been told I am too young for a knee replacement. I’m 60 now. I’m apparently still too young.

I hope you are better soon.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Hope you are better today. That is a form of hell.

pj, "Too young" seems to be BS.
A knee is as old as its functionality IMO.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
pj. find a better orthopedic surgeon.