well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sciatic Nerve (again)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sciatic Nerve (again)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
JF, Did it show up on an xray?

CAT scan

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
JF, Did it show up on an xray?

CAT scan

And in my case, it was an MRI. Not sure it is something you can see with an X-ray since disc material is some kind of goopy cartiledge stuff it isn't actual bone. My situation was the same - surgery provided immediate relief.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
It's been a week now. Still in pain and unable to walk more than few steps without damn near collapsing from the pain.

However I think it's getting a little better. Last night was the first time since this started that I was able to sleep. A good 6 hours then I got up off the couch (only place where I could find comfort) and got into bed (Tempurpedic Memory Foam) around 6am and actually got 2.5 more hours of sleep.

So that is encouraging.

9 days until PT starts.

I am seriously considering an inversion table.

This one.

https://www.amazon.com/Innova-...%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-13

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Something like that may actually work. When I opted for surgery, the neurologist who diagnosed my herniated disk gave me the choice between seeing the surgeon or trying something called disc decompression therapy. That involved getting hooked up to this motorized traction device a few times a week and basically getting my spine stretched out in the hope that the disc would pop back into place. I chose surgery because the closest disc decompression place was like 45 minutes away and I would have had to drive there and back several times a week plus spend an hour hooked up to the machine each time all while in excruciating pain and while trying to find someone to care for my newborn....and after all that it wasn't guaranteed to work. But it was marketed as the less invasive option that was likely to significantly help if not completely cure the problem. I am pretty sure an inversion table works on the same idea -- - stretching out your spine and relieving pressure on the discs -- and if you are in that much pain, it might be worth a try. I hope you are able to find some relief soon -- just reading about your saga is giving me PTSD as I relive the whole experience - I think I repressed just how awful it was and your posts are bringing it all back. I am so sorry you are going through this - it is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. If you get a few weeks into PT and things don't seem any better, I would start pushing hard for the MRI and to see a surgeon - don't mess around if things aren't improving....you may have to advocate hard for yourself because insurance will be reluctant to shell out the big bucks for the MRI and surgery but you sound like you are in enough pain that you may need it so don't let them put you off. Good luck!

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your suffering, Mark. I hope something alleviates it very soon.

I count myself fortunate that, other than immediately after the initial joint replacement surgery, the pain I've had has been slight to moderate and generally relieved by acetaminophen.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm so sorry to hear how much pain you're in!

But getting better sleep is definitely a good sign!

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thank heavens you're finally getting at least some quality sleep.

I've always felt sleep deprivation (especially when caused by pain) is the greatest hell. Also that whatever the ills one suffers, without sleep, healing is virtually impossible.

May it continue!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
At the suggestion of GeorgeK, I purchased a cheap TENS device.

Unreal. First serious if only temporary relief from the constant pain.

Best $33 I have ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N...dt_b_product_details

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Great! Where are you applying the pads? Back? Leg? Foot?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Lower right back, and right thigh.

Still experimenting with placement and intensity.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that's helping you!! I feel like these are super commonly used in Japan, but not so much in the US. Don't know why.

Anyway, I hope you get some more relief and that the PT date comes and is helpful!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
J

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Prior to surgery I got some relief hanging feet off the ground from a chin-up bar installed in my bedroom doorway

J

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I was experiencing severe muscle weakness and felt like I was just wasting away. I have stopped all meds now for over 36 hours.

Starting to gain a little strength but still weak.

As you know, Dr. prescribed Muscle relaxer cyclobenzaprine, anti-inflammatory Meloxicam, and he upped my Pravastatin dose from 40mg to 80mg. All at the same time. It did not go well. I sent doc a message through MyChart and told him about it and stated that I was ceasing all meds until my strength is restored. He agreed. Now I just have a higher level of pain but still making progress. Doing recommended stretching and other techniques, ice, heat, TENS, etc.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Comfort

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post