well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mandatory Masks?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandatory Masks?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I wish Biden hadn’t gone there.

Better would be to say he will use the maximum power of the federal government to require masks at federal facilities, land, contractors. Beyond that, we will direct federal funds to states that abide by CDC guidelines. And everyone in my administration will model good behavior.

That would have been a more thoughtful response that demonstrates leadership.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In general, I agree that presidential interference in these things is counterproductive. This is a state-level decision. But so many governors have abdicated their responsibility.

But in fact, Biden's comments just seem to be the way Presidents often use the bully pulpit ...

quote:
"I would do everything possible to make it required that people had to wear masks in public."

It's pretty vague. More of an exhortation than an enforceable rule.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am so with you... We had a discussion with my hiking ladies..one who teaches public health at Boston College.

Psychological studies show that if you mandate, compliance goes down.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I think this should have been and should be handled at the federal level. I thinks states should have a role too.

I wear a mask and actually think it should be mandatory.

The larger pov I see is the US moving to Stage 2 but some states and counties pulling back.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’re having a hoarder house garage sale tomorrow. First of several.

No mask, no entrance. No, really. Get a mask or go home.

I expect a full on confrontation and have hired one of my tenants, a very large Hispanic man with lots of tattoos to make sure that our rules are enforced. I have the city of Orange police Department and the Orange County Sheriff on speed dial because our little garage sale must make as much money as possible for the estate without killing anyone of us. That and I’m kind of pissed off.

I’ve invited the local paper, the Orange County Register, to attend. I wanna make sure that everyone in the county understands the level of stupid that we are dealing with.

I have a nice baseball bat for sale and am not real interested in what you saw on Fox News. I’ll be carrying it to make sure it gets maximum exposure.

Cabbage patch dolls are $10 each. Come on down!

Film at 11.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Psychological studies show that if you mandate, compliance goes down.

No prob. Compliance goes down, they die. They don’t reproduce. Think of it as cleaning out the shallow end of the gene pool.

The system is working.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So the sale went pretty well today, if you discount the fact we didn’t sell much. Very low turnout, likely because of the virus.

Most folks cool with masks with a few exceptions. Mostly nice people who like to collect, most of whom like to talk and why not? We weren’t going anywhere and I enjoyed their company.

The two couples who objected to wearing masks were absolutely obnoxious. They didn’t escalate but stormed out and burned rubber down the street as they left. Why are these people so angry? What are they so angry about? Garage sale collectibles are fun but not worth dying for.

So tomorrow is another sale, this one labeled as an estate sale rather than a garage sale. We’ll put out different stuff and display it differently. I’m not sure it will make much difference. People just aren’t coming out.

One guy who came by suggested that we list what we have on “Offer Up” which is a phone app that apparently is very popular. I figure to put a bunch of stuff on there tomorrow, being as there is not a whole lot else to do.

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
In our area, facebook marketplace and facebook yard sale groups seem to have taken over from Craigslist as the main place to sell stuff. I hate that it's not anonymous (I don't really want all my fellow high school parents to see me selling my kids' legos LOL!) but it is more local and efficient than craigslist which covers the whole metro area. Better for selling small low-dollar stuff that people don't want to spend a lot of time driving to pick up. Often, people do porch pickup, where you leave the item on your porch and people leave the money when they come get it - no need to interact in person at all.

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
facebook marketplace and facebook yard sale groups

I actually found my piano through FB Marketplace! I've looked at Offer Up a little but I think it's not well-known down here.

The other thing, Steve, is if you have anything that you think is more valuable, you might consider eBay, although that is a hassle...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
So the sale went pretty well today, if you discount the fact we didn’t sell much. Very low turnout, likely because of the virus.

Most folks cool with masks with a few exceptions. Mostly nice people who like to collect, most of whom like to talk and why not? We weren’t going anywhere and I enjoyed their company.

The two couples who objected to wearing masks were absolutely obnoxious. They didn’t escalate but stormed out and burned rubber down the street as they left. Why are these people so angry? What are they so angry about? Garage sale collectibles are fun but not worth dying for.

Probably not worth having in the first place, but we all have our priorities. But comparing getting huffy about being turned away, and wishing death upon them because they're stupid or ignorant, I don't think the moral high ground is where you think it is.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is why masks are so important:

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
quote:

Probably not worth having in the first place, but we all have our priorities. But comparing getting huffy about being turned away, and wishing death upon them because they're stupid or ignorant, I don't think the moral high ground is where you think it is.

I don't understand. Steve didn't wish death on them.

He wondered why they'd risk death to go to a garage sale, and so do I, but he didn't wish that they'd die. I don't, either, but I don't care to be in their vicinity, both because of the risk that they're carrying disease and because I don't choose to be around the kind of free-floating hostility that prompts somebody to burn rubber when they're asked to behave as the property owner requests.

Some people don't wear shoes in the house. i can't imagine behaving as those people did if I visited a home and was asked to remove my shoes.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
quote:

I don't understand. Steve didn't wish death on them.

He wondered why they'd risk death to go to a garage sale, and so do I, but he didn't wish that they'd die. I don't, either, but I don't care to be in their vicinity, both because of the risk that they're carrying disease and because I don't choose to be around the kind of free-floating hostility that prompts somebody to burn rubber when they're asked to behave as the property owner requests.

Some people don't wear shoes in the house. i can't imagine behaving as those people did if I visited a home and was asked to remove my shoes.

I wear a mask as does everybody in this area. I'm all for it. As for wishing death on those who disagree, I was referring to the post previous to the one I responded to.

quote:
No prob. Compliance goes down, they die. They don’t reproduce. Think of it as cleaning out the shallow end of the gene pool.

The system is working.

This is the cohort against which Steve girded himself with large tatooed male minorities and a baseball bat.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think Steve was referring to a potential need to defend himself should he find it necessary to enforce his mandatory mask requirement. Why not at least acknowledge that the potential for violence from the "you can't make me wear a mask" crowd is there? And of course, Steve is 100% within his rights to require masks for people who are on his private property.

I think someone is looking to stir up a fight here at WTF, and it's not Steve....

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
I am aware of what he was referring to. In fact, he was fully expecting violence from mask protesters and prepared to deal with it directly with large male tattooed minorities and a baseball bat. It is his right to fantasize about such confrontations with people he hates, as it is his right to fantasize that those people die by means other than large male tattooed minorities or baseball bats.